Kara

(A/N: Welcome back!!! As per some of the requests I was receiving, I have brought you all another part to this fanfiction. Thank you all for the support you have given to this series so far, I can't wait for the reaction to this one!

All of these characters--except for my OC--belong to Quantic Dream.

Enjoy.)

As soon as Kara passed by the border control officer, her mind went blank for the first time in her existence. There were always objectives, always commands, always things to do. But now, her mind could not come up with any objective, she was too overwhelmed. She had done it! She got her family to safety. They had relied on her, and she had succeeded. Becoming deviant was just a taste of freedom, stepping over the border gave her the entire feast of liberty.

Freedom.

The word settled on her tongue, sweet and savory. Something so simple, yet so difficult to achieve and obtain. She felt her lips form the words: "We're free." She felt Luther's quiet, understanding gaze on her. She turned to Alice, knelt down, and repeated it: "We're free." Alice's eyes brightened and she hugged Kara, not out of fear or worry, but out of relief and love.

Every step, every sacrifice had been worth the freedom she now possessed.

Kara suddenly remembered the address Rose gave her. She had turned to Luther. He had smiled at her.

"We have to find Rose's brother's house."

And that they did. After an hour of walking around, they stumbled across his home. It was a half hour outside of the city on foot, and it was built like a traditional suburban home that could be found in Detroit. From what Kara could tell, it was painted a faint blue and had window shutters painted white. There were brick steps leading up to the dark oak door of the home.

Kara knocked on the door and a man opened it. Kara was startled by his likeness to Rose. He had the same face, the same kind eyes, the same skin, and the same hair. Built like Rose, he was a bit pudgy and had a bit of a pot belly.

"Hello, how may I help you?" he had asked kindly. Kara knew how all of them must have looked, snowflakes covered their heads and they were shivering slightly. They were all huddled together to generate warmth they knew they couldn't produce. Kara's arm was protectively over Alice's shoulders. Luther stood behind them, silent yet reassuring.

"Your sister, Rose, told us we could stay here." Kara told the man.

Eyes filling with understanding of their identities, the man nodded and stepped away from the threshold, "Would you like to come in?"

Kara, Alice, and Luther filed in and the man gestured at the couch in front of them. All three of them sat down, Kara and Luther sitting on opposite of Alice, protecting her from any unseen danger. Scanning the room, Kara found that the dining room was directly connected to the living room and the kitchen. She saw dark hallways that led to rooms unseen directly in front of her. The living room itself had a TV in the corner, closer to the door. Opposite to it was the couch they were sitting on and a coffee table in front of them. There was a futon on their left and a couple of lounging chairs circling the couch. The man sat down in the right of these chairs.

The silence was a bit uncomfortable as Kara racked her brain with something to say. Eventually, a polite remark surfaced.

"Thank you for letting us stay here," Kara said.

"Oh, it's no problem--though, I don't know what your name is."

"My name is Kara," she replied. Squeezing Alice slightly, "This is my daughter, Alice, and this is Luther."