0.6 The E-Day

She always like the color blue, but has always envisioned herself in soft pink for important days. It's the color she deemed lucky, what she always wear in needs to be confident. She never told anyone but pink is exactly the color she would choose for her wedding dress. A beautiful lace dress in soft-pink.

Yet for today, she choose to done herserlf in blue traditional dress. Per his request, yes. Not that she's complaining, the beautiful outfit that was sewn by her aunt looks very elegant. Just looking at it makes her feel like a princess already, and she secretly enjoys that. One can never get too old for fairy tales, she admits to herself. And though the guy she will exchange rings with in a couple of hours is by no means a prince charming, she still finds their story quiet magical.

Magically funny, one might argue.

They know each other at college, though only names. They studied different major at different year (funnily she's two years his senior, though only one year age gap). It was only after they both work that they met again one Thursday night at a cinema, both coming alone for different reasons. She wanted to find a stress relief after a tough day at the office, he didn't want to be alone during his day off from the field. The film was Avengers Infinity Wars, and their seats were right next to each other. He's the first one to recognized her, as she's too absorbed with the movie. They end up exchanging a polite talk and went in silence, only to got shocked by how the story turns out they can't help but complaining to each other. What started of as a random encounter then turns into a two-hours talk at the coffee shop in the parking lot, followed by the exchange of phone numbers. Funny how things turns out after that.

Knock, knock.

"Hey, can I come in?"

She turned her head back facing the door, hands soothing the beautiful traditional fabric that wrapped her as a skirt.

"Yes." she answered, forcing herself to smile because she feels so nervous inside.

A familiar face came in, her best friend since college in her black-and-blue dress. Face smiling from ear to ear. "I matched the theme's right, ain't I?" the friend asked.

"You're the one who helps planned it." she replied as she welcomed her friend into a hug. "Thanks for coming."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." she chuckled. "Besides, who would have thought this day would come?"

"Never thought I'll finally tie a knot ya?"

"With a guy like him, nevertheless. 'Oh God he's crazy enough to ask me out aftef a month', remember?"

"Yeah."

"Turns out he's crazy enough to propose you only after a year."

"You makes us sound so cliche." she laughed.

"Well, cliche works." the friend shrugged. "Besides it's because he's crazy enough that you said yes."

"Err ..."

"Admit it."

"Yeah."

——————————

"Slow down, kid."

He was pretty sure he's driving at the normal speed, but their car almost got run over because he missed the red light. Damn it, he cursed to himself.

"Are you sure you're fit to drive? Your brother can do it." his father said again.

"Yes, Dad. I'm fine." he answered.

"He must have been very nervous." his brother who sat besides him chimmed in.

"I'm not." he tried to deny it.

"You've been silent since this morning." this time, it's his mother. "You've never been silent unless you're sick or-"

"Mom!"

"I just can't believe the day has come." his mom said, eyes a bit teary.

"Hey, I'm not getting married yet." he smiled. "No need for the waterworks."

"But soon." his father patted his shoulder. "It's still a big responsibility, kiddo. Not just to yourself, but to her and her family."

He nodded. What his father said is true. The moment he popped the question, he realized it's not just about him and what he wants now. It's about her. It's about her family. When he asked her to be with him for a lifetime it means he's ready for whatever it takes. Not just the rainbows, but also the chaos and thunderstorms. The ups and downs, the good and the bad. A big decision to make when he's just 24.

But he can't deny that it's crazier that every time he's about to board on the plane before going to the field, it always feels wrong to just leave her like that without nothing to hold on. Sure, they're dating, yeah. But it just doesn't seem right, it's not enough. He feels like she needed to know what she meant for him, what he actually sees in her and the possibility they have in the future. The days he want to went through and the little family that he wants to build. Things he always wanted but never really thought about it before suddenly become crystal clear. Every single pictures are filled with her presence.

People always thought of him as the carefree type, one who thinks of all fun and never thinks of the future. Well, he likes fun. And he does live in the presence, because he doesn't want to waste every single day. But he has always been more than that. And she, she can see through that from the beginning.

That's why he decided to ask her that day, at the car when they just went out after a casual date. No special date or particular reason. He just can't imagine a day without her, that's all. He knows he's whipped, but he doesn't mind it. For once, he doesn't mind it. Because, it's her.

"Are you ready for this, kid?" his father asked.

This time, he looked at his father in the eyes.

"I am, Dad." he answered

——————————

Still connected with 'A Year Later'.