Ch. 4: Diamonds and Daggers

Start from the beginning

The sun is shining through the thin fabric of our black curtains, bathing the room in unwanted light. My mom groans, turning away from the windows as she tries to avoid the bright sun.

"Mom, you have to get up and get ready. You have an interview at that hairdresser down the street today, remember?" I tell her as I try to hide my annoyance with a calm voice.

She groans again, but doesn't make a move to get up.

As my patience starts wearing thin I try to gently shake her, but it only results in her drunkenly flapping at me with her hands as if I was nothing more than an annoying bug.

I've eventually had enough and with one smooth movement I swoop the blanket she has tucked herself in away and throw it down on the floor with all the strength I can muster, resulting in a loud sound that finally wakes her up.

"I'm awake, I'm awake!" she exclaims as she sits up with a wild look in her still sleepy eyes.

I sigh. "Congratulations! Now, go shower, I've laid out some clothes for you to wear on your bed."

My mom looks confused for a moment, like she finally understands that she is supposed to be the responsible adult, not her 18 year old son, but then she shakes her head and slowly stumbles to her feet.

Before she closes the bathroom door behind her she turns around, looking like she's suddenly realized something.

"Where's...?" she says, snapping her fingers like it's going to help her remember the rest of her sentence.

"...Angie?" I suggest and she nods.

"Yes, where is Angelina?"

I try my best to ignore the fact that she just forgot the name of her own daughter when I answer:

"At school."

My mom nods again, but it looks lazily, like she isn't really there. Then she turns around and closes the door behind her, leaving me to clean up her mess as always.

ANTHONY

As always the cafeteria is stuffed with students when I walk in. I let my eyes scan the room, pretending that I'm looking for Jamil when I'm really trying to avoid bumping into Grey like the day before. When I'm sure I don't see Grey anywhere, I make my way towards Jamil, as always he sits by our usual table. Having learnt from my mistake yesterday, standing in line without any results to show for it, I already have food with me. 

Jamil narrows his eyes when I sit down.

"You didn't answer my question," he says, pointing his fry at me. (I wonder how he always gets fries, that's like fighting for a piece of meat with ten hungry lions, scratch that, make it a hundred starving lions).

I shake my head.

"What question?" I ask, playing dumb.

Jamil's had enough of my secrecy and shows it by throwing a fry at me. I dodge it and it hits the person behind me in the neck. Jamil and I turn around quickly, holding back our laughter. It feels good to be able to think about something else than Grey for a moment, even though it doesn't last long.

"Why did you skip school with that goth kid?" Jamil asks eventually when he's sure the guy behind me has turned around again.

I sigh annoyed.

I'm about to answer when my eyes catch a glimpse of pink hair. I'm up on my feet before I even realize it.

"Let's go outside!" I say, grabbing Jamil by the arm.