Ch. 4: Diamonds and Daggers

ANTHONY

"You look like garbage," Jamil says to me as soon as he sees my face.

I didn't get much sleep yesterday. It's not so easy to relax when your whole head is spinning.

"Nice to see you too," I say but my sarcasm sounds weak even to my own ears.

"You sure you should be at school? Maybe you're sick or something," Jamil says, and as the supporting friend he is he takes a step back.

The truth is that I really didn't want to go to school today, I was ready to do anything, skip school and move to Mexico, as long as I didn't have to see Grey's face again. But if I had skipped school then it would look like I made a big deal out of it, like it meant something, which it didn't...it can't. 

"I'm fine, just a bit sleep-deprived," I tell him and turn around to lock my bike, when I remember that I walked here because I never took my bike with me when I decided to skip school with Grey yesterday. 

I shake my head at the memory, holding back a heavy sigh.

"Aren't we all?" Jamil mumbles as we make our way into the school building.

When we've found our seats Jamil's curiosity finally takes over and he leans in closer to me as he starts whispering.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened yesterday after you left with that guy?" he says while raising a thick eyebrow.

I roll my eyes and focus my gaze on the math book infront of me.

"Nothing happened."

Jamil snorts.

"Yeah, right, so where were you during Science?"

I shake my head, trying to look like I don't know what he's talking about, when really I'm desperately trying to come up with a good lie.

"You skipped school!" Jamil exclaims loudly, forgetting that we're still in a classroom.

I hush him.

"Keep your freaking voice down!" I whisper angerly, shaking my head in annoyance.

"So, you did skip school!" Jamil says, excitement sparkling in his eyes. 

Then he turns from excited to confused. "I've been trying to get you to skip school with me since before we went to school, why did you do it with him?" he says it like we've been married for ten years and he just caught me cheating.

Before I'm able to come up with an answer the teacher finally walks in an annonces that the class is about to begin.

GREY

The next day I skip school. I tell myself that it's because I need to keep an eye on my mom, but I can't deny that Tony plays a part in it too. I try not to think about what happened as I make my way to the kitchen, the memory has been on constant repeat since I got home yesterday.

I find my mom spread across the couch in the living room, snoring loudly. Several bottles are decorating the table infront of her, and I realize that she must have gone out late at night to get them, beacuse I've cleansed the house from everything that contains alcohol.