Chapter 2

I piled into the car. Today had been a good day, people had talked to me. An 'A' on my paper. (Not that that was a rare occurence). Even Rebecca had smiled at me, she may have been staring at Christine, who was behind me, yet usually the moment she laid her eyes on me a scowl emerged on her face. 

So all in all, a good day!

Mum's face looked resigned. She listened as I ellaborated on the joys of my day, yet she didn't start the car.

After my solilloquy, I paused, examining the look on mum's face. Had something happened?

Was she okay?

Was she in pain?

"Mum?"

Her face brightened for a moment,

"Melody, I've been thinking...we really need to go to the doctor about that....thing"

She gestured towards my left shin.

A wave of realizastion swept over me. The spot was a delicate subject.

"No!"

"Melody"

"No! I will not! I WILL NOT!"

"Melody you have to!"

"NO!" My voice was raised.

My fists clenched in anger and fear.

"Melody, please do it"

"No."

"I'm sure its nothing serious, but, it just doesn't look good, and if it were something...."

How did she always know what I was thinking

I bristled not wanting to contemplate the potential for something horrible to emerge.

I had been oblivious to the tears streaming down my face until now. I attempted to surreptitously wipe them off my face.

Mum placed her hand on mine.

"And, sweetie, if it is something, it is better to have it checked than to leave it"

She squeezed my hand affectionately.

"I love you"

"Love you too mum"