OLD VERSION Chapter 10: Saving your life

Start from the beginning

If Kyle looked a bit flushed, Darren, on the other side, appeared completely unaffected by last night's events, if his way to greet the two friends was any indication. He was all alpha-like, entirely focused on their upcoming operation. 

"Alex, go fetch Noura. Can't believe she's still asleep! Does she think we're going on vacation?"

Sensing his leader's sour mood, Alex immediatly complied. Kyle and Darren did not stay alone for very long, though, and Kyle was grateful for that: it would have been quite embarassing to stay alone with his mate who witnessed - and caused - his mild breakdown last night. 

"Darren! Darren!"

Nate, apparently forgetting every sense of dignity, jumped in Darren's arms and kissed him furiously, his voice slightly cracking when he asked:

"Promise me you'll be careful, okay?"

"I will. We'll be back in no time"

Nate gravely nodded then turned towards Kyle. They were so close that Kyle felt his heartbeats quicken. Was Nate actually going to give him a goodbye kiss, too? It was a crazy thought but after all, after last night's events, nothing seemed impossible anymore.

"You too, Kyle. Be careful"

Kyle just nodded and Nate squeezed his shoulder briefly, then quickly left, as if he did not want to show his sorrow any longer. Kyle was slightly disappointed at the thought of not being kissed but quickly scolded himself for indulging in such trivial wishing.

"We're here, Alpha" said Alex, who was now accompagnied by Noura, the slender wolf looking down with a shameful expression.

"Good. Now, we don't have all day. Let's go". 

They shifted, all slightly taller than normal wolves. The plan was pretty simple: on the first full moon of every month, at dawn, every unmated wolf of the Downhill pack gathered in a remote part of the forest. Every young male and female was supposed to have a private audience with the One Eye of the pack, who would then deem if they were ready to be mated or not. According to their sources, the Alpha's heir, Charlie, was going to be there, unsupervised. Darren and Kyle's plan was to capture him, and use him to force the Alpha, Aymeric, to give up any pretention on his territory.

Something felt wrong, though.

"Alpha?"

"What is it, Kyle?"

"I have a bad feeling"

"What do you mean? Do you have any information I am not aware of?"

"No, it's just... it's too quiet"

Out of nowhere, arrows pierced through the air, one of them brushing Kyle's shoulder.

"Humans!" Darren yelled. They're armed! Everyone go back to the camp but make sure they don't follow you! They musn't find the rest of us!"

They start running as fast as they could. Kyle noticed  something weird, though. Darren was usually much quicker.

"Fuck, Darren, you're hurt!"

"Just run and shut up, Kyle"

"No way, you're slowing down  already. Look, you keep going and I am going to wait for them. This way, they will follow me instead and you'll have time to reach the camp safely"

"It's absolutely out of the question"

"You're the Alpha, your life is worth more than mine"

"I strongly disagree"

"Fine, have it your way. I guess I will just run by your side then and we will both die"

Darren cursed but Kyle could feel his mate's resolve weakening. As precarious as Kyle's plan was, it was their only alternative.

Darren growled, looking torned but they could hear men on horses getting closer and Kyle started walking instead, looking at his mate with pleading eyes. Darren looked at him intently, then finally nodded and ran faster, leaving him all alone to his fate. 

"I'm going to bring our warriors here. Please don't die" was all he said before disappearing.

Kyle's relief at knowing his mate was going to survive was short-lived, as he made out the figures of his opponents. There were at least seven of them, and they were all armed. This was not the time to whine, though, he was going to fight until his last breath and die the way he had lived: alone. With that thought in head, he jumped on his first ennemy and managed to severely bit him at the tigh. The man yelled in pain and fell from his horse. Kyle saw his chance and tried to make a run but he suddenly felt something sharp piercing the tender skin of his right leg. He quickly ducked, then bit the leg of another horse who immediately reared, making his rider fall on the ground with a loud thud. 

But then, Kyle felt another arrow piercing his left hip and that's when he kew for sure everything was lost. How could have things go downhill so quickly? He had woken up in the morning feeling almost optimistic, after spending the night in his mates' arms. But they had been betrayed and everyone was going to suspect him. He would die as a traitor and not even his mates would miss him. Then suddenly everything turned dark and he fainted.