Part Three: The Longing

PART THREE: THE LONGING

"Sir, in my heart there was a kind of fighting // That would not let me sleep."
~ Hamlet, William Shakespeare

"Now from his breast into his eyes the acheof longing mounted, and he wept at last,his dear wife, clear and faithful, in his arms,longed for as the sun warmed earth is longed for by a swimmerspent in rough water where his ship went downunder Posei...

of longing mounted, and he wept at last,
his dear wife, clear and faithful, in his arms,
longed for as the sun warmed earth is longed for by a swimmer
spent in rough water where his ship went down
under Poseidon's blows, gale winds and tons of sea.
Few men can keep alive through a big surf
to crawl, clotted with brine, on kindly beaches
in joy, in joy, knowing the abyss behind:
and so she too rejoiced, her gaze upon her husband,
her white arms round him pressed as though forever." 

Elena finished reading the novel's closing quote before she put the book down, looking up at the man who sat across from her, blue eyes clouded over like the sea she had just read about out loud. He swallowed, sniffed, looked over at her.
"That's the end?" He asked. She nodded softly. "I don't understand. I thought it would end happier."
"Like a fairytale?" She murmured, and a sad smile danced across her face before she stood up and walked over to him, sitting beside him on the sofa. "That doesn't happen. In this book, Henry and Claire don't get a happy ending, not really. They don't get the life they deserve."
"Then why read it if it only ends in tragedy?" He asked. Elena looked away, could feel tears stinging her eyes at the thought of Henry and Claire. She felt like Claire. He probably felt the same way.
Why did you read it if it only ended in tragedy, a voice echoed his question. She looked back up at him.
"Because I didn't know it would end in tragedy when I started," she told him, pulling him in for a hug when he began to cry.
"That's the thing, isn't it? You never do."

[With You Till The End Of The Line]

[~]