Chapter 10: First Impressions

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me."

"You always spend too much time researching, Dana, you know that."

"I choose not to listen to you. It's not productive."

"As you wish," Sister Vicki murmured, while her friend unearthed a pencil and started writing. She shook her head, turning to focus on Hannah. "Did you have a good sleep?"

"Uh, well, I'm still not used to being away from home."

"Oh, that'll pass. I've no doubt it was strange for your brother too while he was here."

"How long was he here?"

"Close to a week. As soon as the tests started, he was able to stay at the guards' station."

"Ah."

"Have you met Shelby yet? I don't suppose you have, have you?"

"Who?"

"She's an initiate. She helped your brother very much during his time here, and they're quite good friends. She's one of the servers for today – see? That small, fair girl in the front?"

Hannah looked, trying to filter through the blur of people all around the food table. "I think I do."

"You should talk to her – as soon as there's no line, of course. I'll be going up for some much-needed sleep after this, so she can help you today in case you need anything."

Shelby. She was an uncommonly pretty girl, even in her dull nun's uniform. Her skin was angel-white, her features sharp and mischievous-looking. Hannah found it strange to think that this complete stranger had somehow become close with her brother.

"You know, I once saw them walking out in the garden," Sister Dana told them in a hush. "Late in the evening. I think it was his last night here."

"What of it?" Sister Vicki asked her, a little pointedly.

"Nothing. It was just … something I remembered."

"Finish your work, Dana." Sister Vicki pushed away her bowl, covering a yawn. "Been up all night, and now I'm starting to feel it. I'm sorry, Hannah, I'm going to have to leave you. Think you'll be all right?"

"I'll be fine."

"Feel free to look around the grounds if you like."

"Or the library," Sister Dana told her. "That's on the fifth floor."

"Just don't go anywhere out of the church. Not to alarm you, but the city's often unkind to those unfamiliar with its streets."

"I'll remember that."

"Look," she said, nodding her head. "There's no more line. Why don't you go over and talk to Shelby?"

"Just – just like that?"

"Of course. She'll be delighted to meet you, trust me."

"Yes, Vicki and I really need to be going," Sister Dana said.

"But it was lovely talking to you," Sister Vicki bade her. "Perhaps I'll run into you tonight."

She nodded, and the two of them left, Sister Vicki rubbing her eyes while Sister Dana fumbled to put her papers together. They soon blended with a stream of nuns making their way out, and Hannah guessed most of them had classes or duties they didn't want to be late to.

She turned around, glancing towards the end of the hall. All the servers were still there, chatting lightly as they cleared up the food table. She eyed Shelby for a while, watching as the girl went back and forth from the kitchen.