"Can I.... help you six?"

Startled at the unfamiliar voice that had seemingly come out of nowhere, Hermione leapt back out of Draco's lap and landed hard on the floor. "Sssssshhh!" she hissed at her friends, jabbing Lavender with her elbow. Pulling herself gracefully to her feet in an attempt to preserve whatever chance was left of making a good first impression, she straightened her robes, flipped her curls back over her shoulders for reassurance, and glanced, for the first time, at the man in the doorway.

Instantly, her eyes widened, and she nearly stumbled backward in shock. What are the odds of this?

"Oh my God, he's a redhead!" Lavender cackled the moment she caught sight of the tall man.

Both Ron and Ginny glared at the thoroughly amused girl. "What's wrong with that?" brother and sister demanded simultaneously.

"Guys!" Hermione hissed like an angry mother goose. Here was one of, if not the, most important introductions of their mission... and they were still acting immature? She spun and stared sternly at the impish blond-streaked brunette and two redheaded siblings. "Sssssshh!"

When Lavender giggled and ducked her head behind Ron, Hermione shook her own head and turned back to face a bemused, though thoroughly confused, younger version of Albus Dumbledore. "Yes, you definitely can," she said in answer to his initial question. She considered sending him a reassuring 'We come in peace,' but instead just settled on handing over the giant envelope.

Dumbledore glanced at the elegant handwriting addressing the package to himself, and his eyebrows shot up. He obviously must have recognized the writing to be his, Hermione thought, nodding toward the envelope. "I strongly suggest you read it, sir. Now."

Dumbledore's eyes, now twinkling and unburdened with the weight of fighting two wars, regarded Hermione thoughtfully before he muttered a charm. A small razor poked out of the tip of his wand, and he slid it along the edge of the envelope. Pulling out its contents, he quickly scanned the first piece of parchment.

Hermione stepped back so she stood beside Harry. He put a comforting arm around her, massaging the back of her neck with his hand. "Mmmm," she sighed contentedly, closing her eyes, and leaned into his touch, basking in the current silence of the Room. Ginny, Draco, Lavender, and Ron had also gotten to their feet and were interestedly studying this new—old—Dumbledore. He had a mass of red hair and that same ridiculously long bead, still sported half-moon spectacles, and still towered over all of them, except Ron, maybe...

But the aura he released seemed so much younger. Innocent, almost. Hermione couldn't grasp how one person could appear so hauntingly similar and so extraordinarily different at the same time.

Dumbledore finally finished the letter and carefully folded it into a tiny, geometrically perfect square. With a bemused glance at the six curious eyes watching his every move, the man held the note out in front of him, muttered, "Incendio," and set the only hard proof of their history—or future, Hermione supposed—up in flames.

And there we go, Hermione thought, watching the flames dance before her eyes. The edges of the paper quickly browned and curled up until the parchment turned to ash, falling to the floor and scattering like dust. That's it, then. Hermione Granger, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley, and Draco Malfoy had become, and would forever remain, dead and buried. In that instant, Hermione Dumbledore Nefertari, Harry Evans, Ron West, Ginny West, and Draco du Lac were born in their place.

Dumbledore was pensively silent, as if gathering his thoughts. After a moment, he held up the second, thicker envelope, and read the address. "I will ask no questions of any of you, nor do I want you to reveal anything of your past - or future, should I say - lives to me," he said. "Or anyone else, for that matter. It is best that no one knows."

Hermione smiled, relieved that at least the very first phase of the plan – whatever plan it was – had been taken care of. "Actually, that's what you told us before we left, too."

Dumbledore seemed started, but he slowly mirrored her smile. "Well, I supposed some things will never change, my... dear niece Hermione, I presume?"

"Of course," Hermione answered with as charming of a smile she could give him. Dumbledore's note to himself really must have explained a lot, and she had to credit both the man's past and future self for being so flexible and accepting. Her smile turned slightly naughty. "It's so good to finally see you again, Uncle Al! It's been far too long!"

Draco snorted but skilfully turned it into a cough. Hermione shot him a covertly dirty look, but Dumbledore was definitely smiling now. "Well then, Hermione, I suggest we go at once to speak to Headmaster Dippet of the transfer of my favourite niece and her five closest friends from the most prestigious wizarding academy on earth...."