Chapter Nine

I shook out my hands and jumped up and down a few times, my heart racing. I had begun to feel ridiculously anxious... and standing here a few metres behind the four Dauntless leaders had made the feeling increase. I could hear the shouts and laughs of the entire faction that had gathered in the dining hall... all for me. We were moments away from announcing that I was the fifth Dauntless leader.

I'd had to meet with the leaders the day after making my decision. I'd had to be there by eight, so Freddie had kindly taken Ebonie for the morning, so that I didn't have to drag her with me.

Max had pretty much led the meeting, and he'd said that they were looking forwards to having me join the team... Though his facial expression had not really shown that. I was under the impression that he didn't like me very much.

He'd also explained the importance of my new role and expressed that I couldn't put a single foot wrong, after all people would be relying on me. We'd then discussed the next plan of action, and how I would train, as well as how Eric and I could work around childcare situations whilst Talulah was away.

I'd started my training right away. I'd shadowed Angelina all of Saturday and Sunday, taking notes on how she worked with other people in the faction and professionally discussed matters with them. Then on Sunday evening, Eric had looked after Ebonie whilst I went up to Stephen's apartment and he'd strategised with me. He gave me a situation that could possibly occur, then talked me through how he would deal with it and the different possibilities that I would have to chose from. I discussed it all with him, then he gave me a few of my own to work out and had seemed pleased with my choices.

Max and Eric trained me with the physical aspects. It was similar to initiation, except I was taught to use different types of guns, and crossbows. It had been rather interesting, and I'd even had the chance to fight both of them. Of course I lost to both of them, but Max stated that he had been shocked at my strength and that I'd caught him off guard a few times.

The physical training had taken up all of Monday, and Tuesday morning, then Tuesday afternoon Angelina, Stephen and Max presented me with another task. I had to pretend that I was in a meeting with the other Faction representatives and I had to discuss the things on a list that they had given me. Angelina acted as if she was a Candor and tried to argue against a lot of what I was saying, but I managed to stay calm and get my point across - something which I was commended for afterwards.

Tuesday evening, the three of them made a visit to my apartment where they informed me that although I had not had a full amount of training just as they had, they were happy with what I had done already. They wanted to announce my new leadership position on Wednesday evening, the night before the new initiates arrived. I'd almost fallen off of my chair when I'd realised that it had been less than twenty-four hours away.

I'd been nervous all day and now being just moments away from it, I was absolutely petrified. If it wasn't for the fact that I was leaning against the wall, I may have fallen over.

"You good?" Stephen looked over his shoulder at me.

I nodded quickly and stood up a little bit straighter in an attempt to hide my fear.

It didn't work.

Eric and Angelina had also turned to look at me, and Eric knew straight away.

"You'll be fine." He told me. "All you have to do is stand there, say a few words and look pretty."

"And confident." Angelina added.

I let out a long breath and nodded. "Okay... I don't know why I'm so nervous."

"I was too, don't worry about it." Angelina spoke again. "Honestly, you have nothing to worry about!"

Eric moved to stand in front of me and wrapped his arms around my waist before leaning down to speak into my ear. "You are perfect for this position, and you'll do perfectly."