Isabel felt her heart squeeze and she sighed. "I'm really sorry, Kimmy. How about Davi, is she okay, is she throwing a fit?"

"Well, I took her to the hospital like you asked and she got treated... Izzy those marks were terrible. How did she get those?"

"That's something only she can tell you, it's not my place to say."

As much as they were all friends, Davina being gay and her relationship with Sophie were still her own private matters, it was up to her who and who not to tell, Isabel wouldn't say anything to anyone, she just hoped Kim didn't get offended.

"I see..." there was silence on the line for a while before Kim sighed and spoke again. "Well, I'll have to wait for her to open up then."

Isabel was relieved to hear the usual optimism in her friend's voice. Kim continued:

"She came with us to the company but the moment that she showed up in the office with those bandages around her neck and wrists, she and Mason started arguing about something. Things got pretty bad and in the end he sent her home for a few days."

Isabel's heart jumped.

"What? Sent her home? Why?"

"I don't know, but it seems the argument was about a frequently occurring problem and it had to do with her bandages. Anything you might know about that?"

Kim's words caused a light bulb to go off in Isabel's head and as she recalled the scene of Sophie and Mason's cold war on Monday, she could only guess that Mason knew about the two's relationship and wasn't very approving of it. No wonder Davina didn't want to go up to the office yesterday.

Isabel sighed and ran her hand through her hair.

"Yeah, I have some ideas about why they argued. Was Sophie there?" A cold glint flashed through Isabel's eyes as she asked. Although Davina stopped her yesterday, Isabel still felt furious when she thought of what Sophie did to her friend and the urge to smash her face in didn't decrease in the least.

"No, Sophie hasn't showed up for work yet."

"I see. So, what happens now? Now that Davi is on leave who's going to be my manager?"

"Me."

Isabel's eyes widened. "You?"

"What? You don't want me?" Kim's tone was teasing.

"It's not that but... Kim, I appreciate everything that you do for me and the twins, honestly, but you have a life to live---"

"Gosh, you sound like my mother." Kim interrupted and made a gagging sound. "This is my life, okay, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it. Until Davina comes back I'll be managing you and taking care of my god-children, they aren't just yours Izzy. Do you remember what Davina and I told you the day these two were born? They are our kids, don't try to push me aside or rob me of my responsibility to them because of something like your goddamned pride, I'll kick your ass, do you understand?"

Isabel blinked her eyes rapidly to diffuse the heat building up in her sockets then she sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"Yes Kimberly, I understand... I love you guys so much. I'm the luckiest person in the world to be able to call you all my family."

"Hey, stop. You know I'm an easy crier."

Isabel laughed when she heard Kim sniffle across the line and she rubbed her own nose that had gotten slightly red.

"So when are you coming? How far away from the company are you?"

"Uh..." Thinking about it, Isabel had no idea where she was, so she got up and walked over to the window. When she pulled aside the curtain and looked out, it was to be greeted by the stunning sight of a giant, blue lake glistening under the sunlight surrounded by high rise buildings and a moderately forested park.