3

Ashley's p.o.v.

My wolf wants to run to him, but I only want to laugh. I should have known that my mate was going to be the next Alpha of the Midnight Pack, Christian Sebastian. His brown hair that looks so perfect on him and his icy blue eyes; no, stop Ashley, you don't want this. I need to stay focused on the fact that my dad sent me here to match with him. This is what he wants, not me; I need to escape.

It only makes sense on every level though-he is the most popular person at my school and he doesn't even go there. He is known for how delicious he looks and has the personality of a superhero to fit. Every week another girl talks about how they hooked up over the weekend and how it was the most magical thing ever. I laugh every time because we werewolves, especially males, don't "hook-up" with humans and only the human girls talked about Christian like he is some kind of God. They didn't even really think to make their stories seem different from one another; he always took them to this cabin with a great view of the sky and they all "made love" under the stars. We werewolves don't even tempt to date them at all. We like to stay pure for our mate, it makes the marking and bonding more special. Besides, humans are gross.

They have no care for how they smell and they throw themselves at the nearest body just to hope for something special. When they find out there is anything there and if there was something to begin with, they move to the next person like it's nothing. They act like sheep who forgot how so easily they can be herded. I'm not saying that they don't have some moments where they do great things in society, but they can't even grasp at the concept that we are living among them and that there are monsters out there in the dark; so we all get shuffled into fiction, labeled under fairytales. Sometimes, there are some humans out there that know, so they try to hunt us down. Usually, those humans keep it in "the family business" though. Even they know that a normal person couldn't ever handle the truth; it would end the natural order of things. Humans need to feel like they're the most superior beings that were ever created and we would ruin that illusion. 

"Hi there," Chris states, bringing me out of my head.

"Chris, where are you baby?!" some girl yells from about a hundred feet away.

Baby? I look back at him and his face is filled with shame and worry all over it. I take off running, my wolf growls. Stupid. I wonder if her comment is directed at me or him. Maybe those stories were true-he has a girlfriend and he really does get around like chip dip at a party. Why would I ever think that he would want someone like me? I'm a simple girl who only wants to run away from being trapped. Did I even want him? Yes, just not right now. I would have come back in a few years, once my peers had matured correctly and weren't just a bunch of stupid, horny teenagers.  I stop running; I need to gather my mind before I lose it completely. Words about losing focus is what kills us filters into my mind. 

A pitch black wolf jumps in front of me and my own yips with happiness. I guess she was mad at me all along, she didn't have to call me stupid though. I look around to make sure we are alone before changing back into my human form; he also changes. I know that he didn't know it was actually me until I am in my human form but he seems less surprised to see my face than I thought he would be.

"Why are you following me?" I snap at him, letting my fiery temper run wild with no leash.

"Why did you run?"

I laugh. Does he have a brain or a balloon between his ears? I mean, I know boys are stupid, but I didn't know that they were this stupid.

"What's so funny?" he asks.

"You."

"I don't understand."

"Of course you don't, let me spell it out for you because you obviously can't do it on your own. Your girlfriend calls you and I leave so that you two can be alone, we both know that if she saw a wolf then both of our packs would be screwed since wolves aren't supposed to live this far north, but then you ask me why I ran off. Maybe it's because I don't want to see my mate's tongue in some slut's mouth. You know what, I don't even care what you do at this point; if you want to screw up your future and your pack's future then go ahead, but I and my pack will stay out of it."

"She's not my girlfriend, I actually appreciate some things like purity, my mate, and my wolf."

His wolf? What does his wolf have to do with anything at the moment?

"Excuse me, but I appreciate all those things too," I fire back.

"Yea right," he replies snidely.

"What do you mean by that? You first saw me in my wolf form, and I haven't slept with anyone."

"I've been told that you are ungrateful for your wolf, that you would rather be a human than a werewolf."

"Whoever said that lied. I love my wolf more than I could love another being, including you."

That hurts. I feel tears coming up. How could I be ungrateful for my wolf? She has given me so much that it would be impossible to not be grateful. She is a big part of who I am and to ignore her would be an abomination. I turn and run, not caring to change again. I leave him there to realize that he is the dumbest person alive.

I swear to the Moon Goddess to set this rumor straight. If it wants to act like a snake, then I will start at the head and cut it off with a single swift blow. Whoever started this nasty lie will not get away with it, I will see to it.