Ch:1

Her face lay on it's side upon the soft pillow, it's squishy texture supporting her cheek. Her hair lay in streaks of gold atop the plush quilt that kept her warm, her breathing at a relaxed pace as she slowly came around. Her eyes opened to the goddesses morning light, as it passed through the fluffy cloud floor, reflected from the surface of Equestria. She used her fore hooves to push off onto her knees which sank a little into the springy mattress as they took her weight. Stretching to the heavens, she arched her back, letting out a delicate moan. Derpy Hooves loved to sleep, because she could escape into the world of dreams. Anything was possible when she flew the never ending realm of white space, where she could be whoever she wanted to be. Sooner or later though, she had to wake up, back to a reality where everything seemed far harder. She felt by comparison rather helpless in this world, where she could barely take care of herself.

"Derpy dear? Are you up?" Derpy's mother asked.

"Yeah mummy, I'll come down soon!" Derpy replied.

Pulling her legs across the bed, she sat on the edge of it, her hooves dangling into the cloud floor. As her hooves touched it, the cloud swirled around them as it's softness caressed them. Her hooves plunged into the cloud as the pegasus pony dropped onto the floor. With her magically light touch, her pegasus status allowed her to cross it as the cloud particles danced. Opening her bedroom door she strolled through her home to where she heard her mother, the dining room, which appeared to have a bowl of Derpys favourite cereal on the table.

"Morning angel, you have a nice sleep?"

Derpy smiled at her mother and nodded, still feeling a little groggy, but well rested. She knew she owed a lot to her mother as she couldn't begin to imagine how she could cope without her support. As she sat down at the dining table, she idly noticed her thigh, which still bore no cutie mark. Her mother noticed the change in Derpy's expression as she poured milk on her cereal.

"Derpy, is there something the matter?"

Derpy fiddled with the spoon in the cereal, the crunchy wheaty morsels swirling around. She liked to think they were pegasus ponies racing one another.

"Well, I really don't know why I don't have a cutie mark yet. I'm a mare now mummy and my flank is still blank." Derpy explained.

Derpy brought the spoon to her mouth moodily, letting the wheat ponies fall into her maw, devouring them.

"Your cutie mark... That's something you have to work for dear and it doesn't come easily. If you ask me, I think you need to experiment a little."

Derpy swallowed the next mouthful the milk within the soaking oats leaking upon her tongue.

"I know that mummy, but I don't think ponies really understand me." Derpy replied.

Spooning the mushy oats into her munching teeth, Derpy finished off the last of her cereal, holding the bowl up to sip the milk from it. When her gaze was now longer obscured by the bowl, her mothers shining yellow figures concerned gaze met her.

"Derpy I know you have trouble sometimes, but you are a beautiful pony, both inside and out. You just need to keep at it and everyone will see that in the end."

Trotting leisurely around the table, Derpys mother produced a comb from her bag. She took Derpy's hair into her hooves and began to run it's teeth through her daughters hair. As she had just woke up, there were a couple tugs and uneven hairs.

"Thanks, mummy. I'll try again today." Derpy said.

As Derpy's mum finished combing her hair she ran it through her tail a few times for good measure. The hair in her tail was dense, long and sleek. It didn't take much work to get her looking neat, but her mum enjoyed grooming Derpy so she was thorough.