Chapter Eleven - Larry Stylinson - Buried

Louis sat at the table while his fingers played nervously with the straw, twirling it in the drink. Eleanor sat equally quiet, processing the information.

Finally she spoke and Louis was surprised to see a faintly triumphant smile flicker onto her face, “I knew it.”

“What?” he asked slightly stunned.

She shook her head in awe, “I knew it. I knew there was something going on.”

Louis blinked. She actually laughed at his expression and he managed to choke out, “So you’re not angry?”

Her laughter abruptly faltered and a somber look replaced it, her eyes darkening and Louis’ regretted his question immediately.

“Sorry,” he said reaching over and giving her hand a quick squeeze. She glanced down at it, in almost confusion, before she returned the gesture.

“No,” she assured him and she genuinely seemed to mean it, “I’m not angry…just sad I guess. I mean, it sort of sucks for me.”

Louis felt regret flood through him and she seemed to notice it in his expression because she smiled again, “It’s not your fault Lou. I think I always knew. It’s Harry after all. How could I ever compete?”

He regarded her carefully weighing each word for sarcasm but her voice was surprisingly caring as she spoke, “I just want you to be happy.”

Louis’ relief was so powerful it nearly brought him to tears, but he shut his eyes tightly for a moment to shove them back and when he opened them he returned her sincere smile, “Can we still be friends?”

“That’s very clique of you Lou,” she teased and then after a moment of serious consideration she added, “Yes.”

“I don’t deserve you,” he said with a real smile and platonic love for the brunette sitting across from him prompted him to give her hand one last squeeze. Eleanor smiled again as she glanced down at her phone.

“Crap,” she said suddenly, “I’m supposed to go out shopping with Danielle. Not everyday you get to spend a day in New York.”

“No worries,” Louis said enthusiastically, “I gotta get back anyway.”

Eleanor chuckled, “I’m sure Harry is anxiously awaiting to hear how this whole…er…situation went.”

Louis only laughed as they stood up, leaving their money on the table and heading out into the lobby. Danielle was waiting by the doors and waved with an eager smile as she spotted them.

“So?” Eleanor said turning to face him, “I’ll see you later?”

“Yeah,” Louis replied and he reached out to pull her into a hug. When she pulled away and began to head towards Danielle a sudden need to thank her washed over him.

“El?” he called out and she turned, “Thank you.”

It seemed inadequate considering all what they had been through together. She seemed to understand the two simple words communicated a lot more because her answering words were full of friendly affection, “You’re welcome Lou.”

The two girls had barely disappeared from the lobby before Louis had pulled his phone from his pocket and dialed Harry. The younger boy answered on the first ring.

“How’d it go?” he said and the tension in his voice was evident even through the speakers.

“Great,” Louis answered and before he launched into an explanation he could hear Harry exhale in relief.