16. The High Inquisitor Toad

Start from the beginning

 “Among those eccentric decisions are undoubtedly the controversial staff appointments previously described in this newspaper, which have included the employment of werewolf Remus Lupin, half-giant Rubeus Hagrid and delusional ex-Auror, ‘Mad - Eye’ Moody. 

"Why can't they just shut up about my Dad?" Gennie growled, pulling at her hair in annoyance. "He's a werewolf, so what? That didn't stop him from being the best damn teacher we've ever seen."

Cole put his head on Gennie's shoulder to comfort her. "Well people are just stupid bigots--and plus everybody loved your Dad when he was teaching."

Hermione sighed at being interupted again, and Cole made a gesture for her to continue. “Rumors abound, of course, that Albus Dumbledore, once Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, is no longer up to the task of managing the prestigious school of Hogwarts 

 “‘I think the appointment of the Inquisitor is a first step towards ensuring that Hogwarts has a headmaster in whom we can all repose our confidence,’ said a Ministry insider last night. 

 “Wizengamot elders Griselda Marchbanks and Tiberius Ogden have resigned in protest at the introduction of the post of Inquisitor to Hogwarts. 

 “‘Hogwarts is a school, not an outpost of Cornelius Fudge’s office,’ said Madam Marchbanks. ‘This is a further disgusting attempt to discredit Albus Dumbledore.’ 

 “(For a full account of Madam Marchbanks’s alleged links to subversive goblin groups, turn to page seventeen.)”

We were all silent as we stared at the paper. "Well this is just Fudge being paranoid." I said, breaking the silence. "Thinking we're all training to be super-secret wizard ninjas or something."

But a grin was unfurling on Ron’s face. 

 “What?” said Harry and Hermione together, staring at him. 

 “Oh, I can’t wait to see McGonagall inspected,” said Ron happily. “Umbridge won’t know what’s hit her.” 

"Oh she'll sass her so hard." Cole said with a sleepy smile. "It's times like this I wish muggle cameras worked. I would sell my soul to record it."

 “Well, come on,” said Hermione, jumping up, “we’d better get going, if she’s inspecting Binns’s class we don’t want to be late…” 

 But Professor Umbridge was not inspecting their History of Magic lesson, which was just as dull as the previous Monday, nor was she in Snape’s dungeon when they arrived for double Potions, where my moonstone essay was handed back to me with a large, spiky black ‘A’ scrawled in an upper corner. 

 If I was still in muggle education, that would be great news--and no doubt Kayley and I would be doing our ridiculous pass dance (which involved jumping up on your chair and high-fiving with the person next to you). But in the wizarding world, this was equal to a C, meaning I'd just scraped it.

“I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in your OWL,” said Snape with a smirk, as he swept among them, passing back their homework. “This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in the examination.” 

 Snape reached the front of the class and turned on his heel to face them.

“The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed had this been your examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this weeks essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get a D.”