Chapter 5 - Day 2 Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I reject it politely, saying I have to drive my soulmate home," Bucky replied, sure of himself in his answer. The two nodded in approval before Gamora popped the cap on the bottle. Bucky raised an eyebrow, unsure of how to handle the situation.

"I'm finishing this practice here, you didn't need any help. But, Nebula and I need one after all this family talk," Gamora stated, already pouring the liquor into a glass for her sister. She held the bottle up to Bucky as if offering him some as well, but he politely shook his head in response.

"I might take a breather before my next activity," He informed, leaving the two women where they were. For one thing, he didn't want to face Tony's wrath for their impulsive actions, and he did need some air. Walking through the monochromatic hallways he left the two brightly coloured women to their own whims, making his way to the air that promised him relief. After sliding the glass door open (Something that had confused him greatly when he first arrived at the facility) he sat himself down on the decking, filling his lungs with the cool air. It was his first moment alone for the entire day, and he was thankful for it. Judging from the height of the sun, Bucky concluded it was nearing noon, and he was yet to eat lunch. Glancing down at his watch for the first time that day, it finally hit him. Less than 24 hours, that's all he had left. Soon, he'd meet his soulmate, and he'd see if all this preparation had been worth it, if it meant anything at all. His long and mangled hair floated in the soft breeze, and like the morning before everything was as it should, almost. Maybe, he'd be perfect once he found his soulmate, he'd be whole and ready to face the world. But that thought scared him, having the have another person to be complete. That's what all this practice was meant to do, help him be perfect. Watching the green grass between the metallic shudder with the breeze brought Bucky out of his rumination, back into the real world. Bucky smiled softly, as if trying to reassure himself. This person was his soulmate for a reason, and he was theirs, everything was meant to work.

"Where is he? I thought you were with him?" A questioning voice pulled Bucky out of his daze, Natasha's voice floating into his consciousness. It seemed to come from the kitchen, where Gamora and Nebula were still drinking. Pushing himself up from where he sat, he wobbled a little as he entered the facility again. He brushed his brown hair away from face and faced what was to come.

~*~

"Okay, so now that you've got your hand on my hip, you start moving around in a square like this," Natasha instructed her hand on Bucky's shoulder and the other holding his. The two danced in a square, and memories of the 40s filled Bucky's mind. Dancing, he used to love doing that. Now he was here in the future, practicing dancing with Natasha who wasn't his soulmate, ready to dance with his soulmate. It was all so, different but for some reason, it felt natural, and soon he was swinging Natasha around the room, the thumping of a bass leading them through each tap and step in time.

"Not bad seems your charm hasn't worn off," Natasha told Bucky with a sly smirk sketching itself across her face. Wanda watched from the corner of the room, a light smile dusting her lips almost looking lovesick. And maybe she was, Bucky thought to himself, thinking of all the times he had seen Vision and Wanda so happy together against the odds put towards them. Bucky hoped for a love like theirs, one that withstood all the boundaries set in society. The dancing continued, and with each step, he felt drawn back to his old self, the one that loved to dance with ladies and fought for a skinny Steve in beaten up alleyways. The man that had confidence, and to think that it all came out just because he was dancing like he used to. The music seemed to control his body, the bass once again filling his chest as the dancing controlled his every action, his every thought and every emotion.

"You're doing better than me," Natasha mused, clearly trying her best to keep up with Bucky's skill, concentration clear on her sweating brow. Bucky stepped back for a moment, reality settling in his bones and mind. Wanda lowered the volume of the music and watched the two, unsure of what to do next. Natasha put her hands on her hips, breathing deeply and hanging her head.

"Sorry, I can slow down if you want," Bucky offered, sending her an apologetic smile. Natasha shook her head lightly, resting her hand there for a moment.

"No, it's fine, you're giving me a run for my money that's for sure," Natasha complimented, wiping her hands on her dark pants.

"Who taught you how to dance?" Wanda asked, finally speaking up from where she sat. Bucky frowned, but rather than trying to remember something like he usually did, he was confused at why it was a question. His eyebrows knitted together, wondering what Wanda had gone through to even need to ask that kind of question.

"My... mother, who else would it be?" He asked, his eyebrows staying in the same position. Wanda was silent for a moment, along with Natasha. That's how he knew he messed up, the silence that enveloped the room was deafening. His brow furrowed, muscles tensed and his chest tight. This was it, this is where the experience ended and all the friends he had made were no longer his. Each woman was silent, and Bucky continued to scold himself for his words, the ones with no thought that always caused him problems. Just as he thought he was going to relapse into a Winter Soldier, one that would bury the hatchet and destroy everything he had built, he had spoken up.

"That must have been nice, I'm glad you got that," Natasha sounded genuine, with absolutely no malice lacing her voice. Bucky rose his blue gaze to look at Natasha once again, who tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. Her face was soft, with a pinch of regret lacing her features. They seemed very matured like she had grown up quickly into her face, and that was who she had almost always been.

"Yeah, Pietro and I had to learn from others. I'm lucky I had him, so I take that as a blessing every day," Wanda sympathized, a small smile on her face although it was clear that mentioning her deceased brother was hard. Bucky realized as he sat in the room now that everyone there was similar. Taken away by others, changed and lived an experience that affected them forever. Yet each of them had someone who saved them, took them out of that dark place. But here they were, together and not as broken as they were before. He smiled at this thought, and although the mood in the room was solemn, there was a warmth that remained, surrounding each member and making them feel together, connected in the oddest way possible. The room went quiet, before Wanda broke it, getting to her feet.

"Well, I have some other jobs to do. I think the lessons over, you did very well," Wanda commented, scooping her laptop into her hands and leaving the room promptly, brown hair splaying behind her as she ran off. Natasha was the next to go, sending Bucky a soft smile.

"Better get ready, they're going to fix up your hair next," She added with a wink, following behind Wanda and leaving Bucky alone. Once again it was just him and his thoughts. Did his soulmate have parents? He had thought about this before when he was with Gamora and Nebula, but the thought of it plagued his mind. Maybe it wasn't long, and his parents were very far gone now, and everyone moment he had with them was a memory of the past. At that moment, he made a promise to himself. He'd make memories with his soulmate, and they'd never be without him if he could help it.

Word Count: 2160

Status: Unedited