chapter ten

Next thing they knew Steve was on the battlefield, fighting the enemy, while Tony was home alone. At night Steve would lay in his cot, drawing pictures of Tony, wishing he was there.

One of his fellow soldiers, Bucky, noticed this. "Who's that kid you keep drawing?" he asked, peaking at the paper. "Oh, um. no one," he said, hiding the papers away.

"Come on, Steve. You've drawn this guy like a hundred times already." Steve tried not to blush. "He's, uh, a good friend of mine. Best friend, actually. I just, really miss him."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Steve tried his best not to cry.

...

Tony never imagined being without Steve would be this painful. He didn't want to do anything. He didn't want to go to school, he didn't want to go out with friends. Nothing.

Nothing without Steve.

Dr. Erskine noticed he hadn't really been around much and went to check on him.

"Hey, Tony? You alright?" he said, slowly opening the door to his room. Tony was laying in his bed, the covers over his face. "Tony?" He did not move.

Dr. Erskine walked over to the bed and yanked the covers off of Tony. "What do you want?" he mumbled. Dr. Erskine sat down on the bed. "Im just making sure you're okay."

Tony looked up at him, tears streaming down his face. "Do I look like I'm okay?"

"Oh my God, Tony what's the matter?"

Tony wanted to tell him so bad. More than anything. But he couldn't. He was so scared. "I, I don't know," he lied.

"Tony, I know when you're lying. It's okay you can tell me anything." Should I do it? Tony internally struggled.

"Dr. Erskine? I, I think there's something w-wrong with me," he sobbed.

"What is it?" He took a deep breath.

"I think I like Steve."

"Well, I do too. He's a very likable man."

"No. You don't understand. I think I, I love Steve." At first he didn't understand. But then, he smiled. Tony was crying really hard and loud now.

"Tony, it's okay. I understand."

"Y-you do?"

"Yes, and don't worry nothing is wrong with you."

"But, h-he's a m-man."

"It's okay, Tony. It's okay."

"Dr. Erskine? Is he going to die at war?"