Chapter Six

Summer nights, Pacific Highway
'Cause I just really wanna pull you close

Diego and I got back to our rooms around 10 am. Austin was already there when I walked into my room.

"Where have you been? You know Sofia, I really thought I could count on you not to get into trouble but this—,"

"Austin! I'm fine! I was with Diego, so don't worry."

"Yeah, like that makes it sooo much better," he said sarcastically,

"It's not like we were doing anything bad. We were just driving and fell asleep. We don't even have a thing. We're just friends."

"I don't think I can believe that. I don't want him to hurt you."

"Believe me, I can take care of myself," I said. "I understand why you're concerned, but I can handle this."

"Fine," Austin said. "But you have to come back to your hotel room at night from now on, and for your own good, I would end whatever you have going on with Diego."

I hugged him, and he left my room.

I wonder if Diego knows Austin doesn't want me around him. I guess he does now. He probably heard the whole conversation.

I laid down on my bed and took a nap. When I woke up, I checked the clock. 4 pm. Damn. I did not mean to sleep that long. I stretched my arms and sat up and switched on the TV. It was on TMZ. My mouth dropped open when I saw pictures of us at Shake Shack from the night before.

"New 16-year-old star on the scene, Sofia, has been spotted hanging out with rappers much older than her. It rumored she has a fling with not two but three of these men."

I quickly turned off the TV and flopped back onto my bed. I groaned trying to not think about what I just heard. I heard loud music playing and wandered into Austin's room, where Diego, Omar, and some other guys were.

"We're getting fancy tonight, boys," Austin said while buttoning his shirt.

"Where are we going tonight," I asked drowsily.

"I told you! That new high-end sushi restaurant. Important PR  and label people will be there. They want to talk to you, especially and come up with plans for your career path."

I rolled my eyes and motioned Diego to scoot over, so I could sit on the couch. 

"I know you hate those people, but please try to make some use out of it. This could be a good opportunity for you."

"That's not it," I said.

"Ok, then what's the problem?" Austin asked.

"I just...don't know if we should all be so publically seen together," I explained.

"I don't get it."

"You've seen the recent headlines. They're not good, and all of us going out tonight is just going to add to this made up story even more," I said quickly.

Austin sighed. "I know, Sof. I'm sorry about all this."

Diego put his hand on my knee. "Listen, we can't worry about that. Let's just go out tonight and forget about it."

Austin glared at him, and Diego had a confused look on his face.

"No, I'll go. I'm just worried," I said.

I went back to my room and put on a trendy black dress with heels and curled my hair. We all left our rooms and went down the elevator, while Omar mumbled something about Diego wearing a hoodie to dinner. There was a limo waiting for us outside. I sat next to Diego.

"You look perfect tonight," he said.

I shrugged and smiled. We didn't talk much on the ride. I had too much on my mind.

When we got to the restaurant. Diego took me by the hand and led me out of the limo. He continued to hold my hand as we walked through the street. Lights were flashing everywhere, and I put my handover my face too block them. We finally got to the restaurant. I was disappointed that Diego and I were on opposite sides of the table.

The dinner was pretty dull. Diego and I kept making eye contact with each other and smirking throughout it. I felt my phone buzz and looked at it to see a text from him. "Let's get out of here," it said. I made eye contact with and shook my head implying we should stay. Diego tilted his head and stuck his bottom lip out like a sad puppy. I rolled my eyes, even though he did look cute.

"Fuck you," he mouthed and smiled.

"Aww thank you," I mouthed sarcastically.

Eventually, dinner ended. Austin and his friends all suggested we go to a club a few minutes away from the restaurant. Diego and I pretended to be tired and said that we were going to take a taxi back to the hotel.

Diego and I were anxious to leave, and the second we got in the taxi we started laughing and complaining about how annoying everyone was at dinner. It was so nice being alone. There was no one telling us what to do. I was hoping the taxi driver didn't notice who we were.

I put my head on Diego's shoulder, and he played with my hair, while I traced the tattoos on his face.

"Do you want to go back to your room or mine," Diego asked.

"Mine," I said while sneaking my hand underneath his hoodie.