Chapter Twelve

Levi
Just as I walk inside, Stefan drives his fist into his brothers' face, not once, but over and over again. Stefan is normally the weak brother, but not tonight. His rage is fueling him. Then, I see him pull out a stake, driving it into Damon. But he had missed Damon's heart. Damon's eyes meet mine, but he speaks to his brother.
"You missed." He teases, turning to face his brother.
"No, you saved my life, now I'm sparing yours. Get out of my life, Damon. I'm done with you. Stefan shakes his head.
"You can't tell me what to do." Damon groans, pulling out the stake. "I do whatever I want."
"Clearly," I speak up. "Seeing as you nearly killed Irisa tonight after forcing your blood on her."
"What?" Stefan demands, narrowing his eyes at his brother. "Is she okay?" Stefan asks me.
"Yes, Irisa is fine. Fortunately, your brother couldn't go through with it. He broke her wrist, but it healed from his blood and she was crying. He can't seem to stand seeing her cry." I tell Stefan. "I was wrong about Damon not loving her, but I was right about this one," I look at Damon. "Irisa isn't safe around you."
"How could you Damon?" Stefan demands. "She's a child. I understand you killing Lexi, you hated her. But Irisa? Damon, of all people, she's the last person you should want to hurt. Why did you try to kill her?"
"Rhiannon wasn't the first. Irisa isn't the second, Stefan. Lexi told her about someone else who looked just like her. Levi stupidly said she wouldn't be the last. I don't want anyone else to be anything like her, or even look similar to her. But... I couldn't do it." Damon explains, pain showing on his face, not from being staked, but because he had hurt Irisa.
"You couldn't kill her. You couldn't make her into what we are." Stefan lets out a bitter laugh. "Where was that concern for Vicki? Or anyone else you've sired, Damon? I get that you love Irisa, but you wanted to kill a 15 year old girl tonight, just to make her a vampire. Just because you can't handle being alone. You should want her to live as long as possible, Damon. The thought of her heart not beating any longer should terrify you, just like her crying broke your heart. Take an example from Levi, he rarely falls in love, but when he does, nothing could make him hurt that woman, Damon. Just like he loves Irisa, he protects her." Stefan gives me a nod before leaving the room.
"Does she really hate me?" Damon asks me.
"She doesn't."I say, sitting down on the couch,"She's scared of you though. If you ever try something like tha-"
"I won't. Not to her." Damon says, pain still in his eyes. "I'm sorry for hurting her. I never... I just love her so much."
"Damon, you love the idea of Irisa. Not who Irisa is, body and soul. You have a long way to go if you think she'll ever trust you. But I do know she doesn't hate you. Irisa... I've seen into her thoughts, and she loves you, Damon. Just as she loves me, and she loves Stefan, and she loved Lexi, even though she just met her. Irisa... is loyal. It's a part of what she is, that side of her that you don't know about. She's so loyal that she will not stop loving someone even once their dead. So you killing Lexi tonight, you sort of screwed everything up. I just hope Irisa doesn't have nightmares about it."
"And if she does?" Damon asks me, his blue eyes searching my face for any sign that I'd kill him for it.
"If she does, you're going to fix it." Levi says. "But for now, I'm going to just go check on her."
"Do you spend every night in her room while she sleeps?" Damon asks.
"Do you spend every night in Elena's room while she sleeps?" I counter, and Damon's eyes narrow. "You smell like her, you know? It surprises me that your brother hasn't realized that you watch his girlfriend sleep." I roll my eyes, and head towards the door.
"Don't mention it to him." Damon whispers, "And I'll keep Mayor Lockwoods' scent off your trail and hers."
"I can cover my own tracks, Damon, but what do you mean hers?" I narrow my eyes as I turn to face him.
"She's not human, Levi. You've said it yourself. If she's not human, what is the lovely Irisa, and why does that darling face keep showing up time and again? Is she a doppelganger, like Elena?" Damon raises an eyebrow.
"If you so much as try to hint at her being different to anyone on the council, you're dead, Damon. If you don't want to see her dead, then why would you want to see anything happen to her?" I demand.
"Because, if she chooses you, I don't think I can handle it." Damon says.
"Damon, I'm going to tell you something that has to stay between us. You can't tell her I said this." I say, looking down at my feet. "She'll never choose us. Not when she can have a normal, human existance with a living, breathing guy. She might be in love with us both already, but I've seen into her most inner thoughts, and she's much more of the motherly type than Rhiannon could have ever thought she could be." I look up at Damon and see sadness on his face. "She's going to choose someone that's not us, Damon. Only because she wants children. That's something that she can't have with either of us. I'm sorry."
"I know you mean that your sorry because that means that she won't ever choose you either." Damon says, turning away from me. "But don't think this means I'm giving up, Levi." He looks back at me. "I'm not giving up on Irisa. I'll never give up on her."
He walks away, and I hear him say "Don't even think about it, Stef. Not in the mood."
I sigh, walking out the front door.
-----
Irisa
I wake up to the sound of my bed moving slightly, and I roll over, sighing when I feel arms wrap around me.
"Levi." I whisper.
"Yes?" He asks quietly.
"How long have I been asleep?"
"Hmm... is this the first time you've woken up since you fell asleep in the car?" Levi asks quietly.
"Mhmm." I mumble, snuggling closer.
"Then just about 3 hours."
"Ughh." I mumble, and Levi chuckles.
"Go back to sleep, Irisa." I feel his lips on the top of my head.
"But you're here. I wanna talk." I let my eyelids flutter open, and I meet his gaze, smiling up at him.
"Why is it that you always want to talk to me so much?" Levi asks me, reaching up to push my hair out of my face, then cupping my face gently.
"Because you're amazing and I love you." Levi stares at me in surprise, then nods, lowering his lips to mine. I kiss him back, feeling as if everything is alright now.
But when he pulls away, he whispers, "Damon nearly killed you tonight, Irisa. If you hadn't been crying, I honestly think he would have went through with it."
"Because he wants me dead." I state.
"No, because he wants you and Elena both to be vampires, Irisa." Levi explains lightly stroking my cheek. "Irisa, you, unlike anyone I've ever met, knows how to set Damon off in ways that I've never thought possible. The fighting has to stop, but I think the two of you have a lot you need to work out. You know he loves you. You must know that by now."
I shake my head, pulling away from him, jumping up from my bed. "You have to be kidding me!" I exclaim. "He doesn't love me. I'm... I'm the last thing Damon wants. He just wants to make sure I suffer more!"
Levi jumps up, pulling me into his arms. "I assure you, that's not the case. Damon truly loves you, Irisa. I know you didn't hear me in the car because you fell asleep. But, he does. If he didn't, he wouldn't have stopped himself tonight. He would have killed you Irisa, and you would be awakening in transition right now instead." I gasp in shock, and Levi pulls back a bit. "His blood is still inside of you, Irisa. You need to be careful for the next twenty-four hours. If you make him mad enough, and he hurts you-"
"You mean if he kills me." I state. "Yeah, I know. I'll become a vampire like you." I reach up and touch his cheek. "But I don't want to be, not unless it's you that makes me one, Levi."
Levi's eyes wide and then he just pulls me close again, sighing. "I know that you don't truly mean that, Irisa. You've let me in. Especially since you know what you are. What would happen if you became both, Irisa?" Levi says into my ear, and I sigh as well, bringing my lips to his ear.
"I would make you mine." I say breathlessly, and Levi stiffens a bit. "Nothing could stand in my way. Not then." Levi pulls back again, pulling me over to the bed.
"What's stopping you now?" Levi whispers, and I roll so that I'm in his arms as we lay in bed. I stare into his beautiful green eyes and push his blonde hair out of his face, knowing just how fast my heart is racing, as well as just how easy it is for him to hear it.
"I guess the fact that my father doesn't even know what that he, my brother and I come from a werewolf bloodline." I tell him quietly, "And that if he knew, he would view vampires much differently."
"Not everyone is you, Irisa. You never knew about vampires before Damon selfishly exposed our existance to you." Levi whispers. "Your father won't react the same way as you."
"My father wouldn't have a choice, not if I became a vampire." I nudge his nose with mine, brushing my lips against his. "How much of your blood would it take for me to be sired to you instead of Damon, Levi?"
"No, I won't hear of it, Irisa." Levi's eyes fall closed, "I'd rather die than have you die, even briefly, Irisa." Levi whispers. I lay my head on his chest, listening to the sound of his beating heart.
"Levi, it would be worth it. Us being together forever." I lightly stroke his arm, and hear his heart skip a beat. "I'd give everything up for you, Levi. Even the sun. I'd give up being human. I'd give u-"He cuts me off.
"Having a normal, human life? The chance to have children? Irisa, do you know what all you would be giving up? Do you understand how complex of a decision it really is? Most people don't just decide to become a vampire, you only become a vampire for one of three reasons, Irisa. Because you are injured badly enough with vampire blood in your system that you die, or because you love someone so much that you never want to lose them..." Levi trails off, and I feel my cheeks flush.
"What's the last reason?" I ask.
"Someone forces you to become one against your will, or doesn't even give you the choice, just gives you their blood, and there's an accident, or they kill you themselves, Irisa." Levi says, and I sit up a bit, noting that his eyes are now open.
"Like how you became a vampire."
"Most of us didn't get a choice, and I wouldn't take the choice from you, especially not when you're so young." Levi says. "Especially not when I love you so much, Irisa."
"Levi, you said..." I trail off and he nods.
"I know." He brings my face close to his. "If you want to become a vampire in a few years, we'll think about it. But for now, you need to take an asprin, and go back to sleep. Soon, his blood will be gone from your system, and you won't have to keep worrying about being accidentally sired to him. As for what's stopping you now, the only thing stopping you, darling, is timing." Levi tells me.
As I gaze at him, I'm not sure what he means, and I open my mouth to ask, but his lips stop my question. As soon as the kiss starts, it's over, and Levi grabs an asprin and a bottle of water from my desk, hands them to me and starts for my window. "Levi-" I begin.
"Yes?" He asks.
"Why are you leaving?" I ask as tears fill my eyes. "Does this mean you're leaving for good?"
"No." Levi smiles, shaking his head. He walks back over and hugs me. "I was just going to head over to the Salvatore's. I need to speak with Stefan about how we're going to handle Damon."
"Are you going to make me play nice?" I whisper, and Levi strokes my hair.
"It'll be better for you if you do. I don't want to risk losing you, Ris."
I smile when he finally uses one of my nicknames, and whisper, "Fine, for you I'll try. But no way in hell will I flirt back if he does."
"I would sure hope you wouldn't." Levi whispers back. He kisses my forehead. "Take the asprin. I know you have a headache from his blood. I can see it in your eyes."
"Why doesn't your blood effect me this way?" I ask him, and Levi's eyebrows knit together. "I never feel different when I drink your blood. Well, I mean, I feel more alive when I do, but when I drink his it's like it hurts so badly."
"I honestly don't know." Levi admits. "But I'm glad."
"I understand if you've got to go. But promise me you'll come back." I whisper.
"I'll always come back. I promise you, Irisa. I'd never not come back to you." Levi promises, and gives my hand a gentle squeeze. "Tomorrow morning. I'll be back. Get some sleep."
He watches as I take the asprin, and curl up in my blankets, then I watch as he leaves.
----