"Then what do you think the answer to that question is?" I said skimming my thumb across his jaw. "I don't want to leave, Michael - especially not tonight."

"Then don't."

"But you're clearly angry whether at me or Nathaniel it doesn't matter. You're upset about Ana and now this. You said it yourself, you're done with today. I'm done with today too. You can barely look at me and it hurts, Michael."

The silence was deafening but it was all I needed. I pressed a kiss to his forehead and stood. "I'll be back in the morning, I promise."

With a lingering look and a few hesitant steps toward the hallways, I was unlocking my car and throwing my bag in. But no more than a few seconds later, Michael was walking out of the house with determined steps. I let him pull my body flush against him and I let him kiss me. I surrendered to the possessive grip in my hair and the arm curling around my body. I swallowed his anger, I met his tongue stroke for stoke.

But when he pulled away I sighed. I shook my head and he shook his. Our silent, I love you even when we're angry at each other. I'd go to bed tonight reassured and so will he.

I pressed a palm to where his heart was and said, "You need tonight more than I do. Mourn, think, be you and I'll call you in the morning."

"Alright." He nodded.

And with that I watched him re-enter the house and I drove away.

**

**

By the time I parked up at my parent's, it was almost midnight. I hadn't realised I was in the shower that long, I mean we got home at probably six o'clock and Mike and I probably argued and ignored each other for a good hour. All of the lights were off but the porch light was automatic; I wouldn't be waking them up because I had a key. I clicked the lock on my car and took a moment to breathe. What a day.

I turned and made my way across the street only for Nate to enter my vision from the other side of the road.

"Did you follow me?" I said ignoring him when he tried to step in front of me.

"I saw your car leave his road- hold on."

"Please not now. I'm tired and it's been a stressful day. Nate." I stressed when he grabbed my arms. "Please, don't do this."

"I need to explain myself because I hadn't meant to..."

I couldn't help the scowl on my face when I yanked my arms out of his hold. "Your excuse is that you hadn't meant to? Are you serious right now?"

"Evie-"

"No. No, you can't talk your way out of this, Nate. I seem to be the only one that's surprised you did this. I don't get it, you haven't said anything since I was eighteen. It's been three years since we were in that hospital why didn't you just say something?"

"Because you wanted me to stay and I didn't want to ruin our friendship."

Again, my fault. "I didn't just want you to stay-"

"You did. If I recall correctly, I said what more could I stay for and you said you." He said, his eyes peering right into my soul. "And I'm still here. I may have only visited once a year but that was all I could take. I've tried to move on from you, each year I'd get closer and closer to doing just that but now here I am. I'm with you almost every day and it's hard for me to touch you, to hug you and be with you without breaking. I may be a vampire but I'm still a man."

It is my fault.

"Please don't cry."

I brought my hands up to wipe away the tears I'd tried blinking away through his little speech. "You're both right. I- I shouldn't have-"