24 · The Tangled Confrontations

Start from the beginning

We immediately lifted our heads and found Officer Laughlin accompanied by a female officer. She had sharp eyebrows and her chestnut brown hair was tied into a strict bun, making her slightly intimidating. Her once alert, hazel eyes eventually softened at the sight of us. The female officer's eyes went from me to Joshua.  

If I spotted this right, she almost looked in disbelief when she settled her gaze at Joshua. As I knitted my eyebrows at this observation, the officer shifted back to her straightforward approach. 

She introduced, her voice not as striking as before,"I'm Officer Goodwin, and my partner here told me that you two were out during curfew?" 

We both nodded. 

Officer Goodwin peered over at Officer Laughlin who was also nodding his head, almost too proudly. 

"May I ask why?" she requested in a way that wasn't nosy, but she was trying to understand. 

We were literally running for our lives from these scary men, I wanted to say. 

Summoning enough courage to speak, I replied, "I wanted to take pictures of Crystal Lake for my photography class, and... my friend just accompanied me since it was late." 

The officer pursed her lips before she continued, "I have to say that it's not unusual for teens to be out past curfew when it's Spring Break." 

Officer Laughlin's green eyes enlarged as he quickly defended, "Officer Goodwin, I was doing my duty though. I can't just have these hooligans running out and about. How do we know they're not lying?" 

Officer Goodwin answered, clearly showing that she had higher authority than him, "I believe them. You should have talked to me about this before calling their parents." 

Becoming antsy from hearing that, I stammered, "Officer Laughlin, you called our parents?" 

"Well, yes," Officer Laughlin then diverted his gaze to Joshua and revealed, "kid, your mother wants to talk to you on the phone." Returning his eyes on me, Officer Laughlin asked, "And, your father is on his way here." 

Incapable to understand why my dad was coming, it was almost an hour and a half drive to here from his place. I highly doubted that he would spend the time and gas to come to Callaway Village, especially at this time.  

Joshua then spoke up, "Will it be all right if I call my mom now?" 

Officer Goodwin motioned the younger officer to take Joshua the phone. The male officer appeared disgruntled from the scolding for his work and sluggishly guided Joshua away.  

When it was just Officer Goodwin and me, I didn't have enough strength to look at her. I was more tangled on the news that my dad was coming.  

"You're Olivia, right?" Officer Goodwin stirred up a conversation. 

"Yes," Picking my head up, I added, "sorry for causing this." 

"It's not your fault. Please excuse Officer Laughlin. He's still new to the field, so everything that seems... out of place will cause him to take action." 

"I understand," I murmured. 

Officer Goodwin then asked, "I see that you're worried. Don't worry, I'll talk with your father. Out past curfew isn't something to be upset about." 

"Thanks, but you don't know my dad." 

"You seem like a nice girl, so I have a feeling your dad will be fine. Can I ask you something, Olivia?" 

Even though I couldn't jump the bandwagon with her statement, I grew interested about what this question may be. Once I motioned for her to ask, Officer Goodwin folded her arms and cleared her throat.