07 · The Unspoken Side

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

07 · The Unspoken Side

"Mikaela? What are you doing here?" I questioned with a surprised grin on my face. 

I wasn't expecting to find my best friend waiting outside the corner of Remy's. Mikaela looked like she was straight out of cheer practice with her hair tied up and the comfy set of clothes she would throw on after hours of practice. Mikaela waved before greeting me with a smile.

"Are you not happy to see me?" she joked. "Okay, you're really not going to believe this!" 

While Mikaela tried to speak, she wouldn't stop giggling which made it even harder to understand. A little worried, I tried to convince myself that Mikaela was going to deliver good news, but I was still doubting it.  

Noticing the concern that lurked in my eyes, Mikaela seemed to have read my mind. "Olivia, I don't always have bad news, you know? I'm here because a certain someone is worried about you." 

"You?"

"Well, I am worried, but it's not me." 

"Eric?" 

Mikaela answered, "I'm sure he's worried too but not Eric either."  

Then, who? 

As if she heard my thoughts yet again, Mikaela confessed a millisecond later, "Joshua! He came by during practice asking if I could go to Remy's to see if you were okay. He told me the whole story." 

Well, I hoped Joshua left out the part about Beverly. 

Hearing that it was Joshua caused my ears to muffle out the rest of Mikaela's words.  

There was this wave of shock I couldn't digest properly. At the same time, I had such a difficult time believing that Joshua Anderson was worried about my behalf. Piecing everything together, Mikaela and Eric didn't have a clue with what I was up to, so Joshua must have talked to her. He was the only one I told.  

My thinking charade was put to a stop when I heard Mikaela claim to herself, "I could have sworn you said that he was rude, but Joshua was really concerned. Oh! I get it now. You taught him a lesson, that's why he's so caring now. I knew you had it in you, Olivia! Hey... you're smiling." 

Dropping my smile in a flash, I corrected, "I didn't beat him up! He came to school like that!" 

Mikaela chuckled. "I know you didn't. I was kidding. Did he ever tell you what's going on? Just looking at him makes me a little sad."  

I shook my head, feeling a little guilty for lying. "I don't know what happened. Hold on, why would you think I know?" 

"Joshua has been spending a lot of time with you," she sang a matter of fact. 

"So?" I placed a hand on my hip. "That doesn't mean anything." 

Besides, Joshua was going to have multiple practices with Beverly Gillespie. 

Mikaela pouted her lips. "Are you two getting close behind my back? How could this happen without my knowledge?" 

"Mikaela, I would never — I don't like him! He drives me up the wall. He's so conceited and always has to mention how he only 'keeps' to himself. All he does is boost his ego whenever he's around me. He always tries to push and pull on my emotions by saying things that nearly gives me heart attacks, and the way his stupid green eyes look at me makes me to kick something because I just can't handle his stare. Mikaela, why are you looking at me like that?"