Snape hates the Longbottoms

Snape hates a lot of children throughout the Harry Potter series. Snape's true intentions are the ultimate twist throughout the Potter novels and films, as he goes from suspect number one to being a self-sacrificing hero in the end. It's no secret that Snape had a great attachment and affection for Lily, Harry's mother.

This theory states that Snape has it out, particularly for Neville Longbotton, due to the fact that Voldemort himself went after the Potters on the faithful night of Lily and James' murder, instead of the Longbottoms. He sent his follower, Bellatrix Lestrange to kill the Longbottoms. Snape is under the suspicion that if Bellatrix were sent after the Potters, they would have had a better chance of surviving (and he's probably right).

It's totally unfair for Snape to blame Neville for something that wasn't directly his fault, and wasn't even the fault of his parents. This paints Snape as much more malicious than Potter fans would care to view him, and seems pretty illogical for a meticulous thinker like Snape to point blame at Neville. But perhaps with Neville being another possible "boy-who-lived", Snape needed to vent his frustration somewhere, and chose Neville.