"What about Caroline?"

Elena paused. "Somehow I doubt she'll take much convincing even if Holden was her best friend..."

ALARIC BEGAN CLOSING THE SHADES OF ELENA'S DORM ROOM AS ELENA SAT ON A CHAIR ACROSS FROM AN EMPTY ONE. "Did you tell Izzie what you're doing?" Alaric asked her curiously as Elena glanced back at him.

"I didn't have to. I know you told her."

The original vampire mused before nodding. "I mean... You can't just keep her out of this."

Elena nodded her head. "She probably hates me now. I hate myself too," Elena whispered as Alaric looked at her softly before sitting down on the empty chair in front of her.

"I asked Izzie whether she'd like to do the same thing but she declined. But that doesn't mean she's a stronger person than you," Ric commented as Elena looked down. "Hey, she doesn't hate you. She understands you. Izzie just chooses not to do it."

Elena looked back at Alaric before nodding once again. "Talk me through it again?"

"I raided the psychology department's research library, and a nutshell would be using a combination of hypnotherapy and memory reprocessing techniques," Alaric explained as he placed his hand in her knee before looking into her eyes, compelling her. "The more we talk, the more you'll relax and open your mind to me."

Alaric then stopped compelling her as he settled back. "We're going to be researching through memories that are deeply embedded, and each significant memory that we hit which is connected to Holden I will help you modify. And this should eventually lead us to the signature memory which one erased will create a positive domino effect through all your other memories."

Elena furrowed her eyebrows as she listened. "Can't you just compel me to forget everything at once? Or we can go get a beer?"

Both of them laughed softly as Ric spoke again. "I am supernaturally rewiring three years of your memories. If it were that easy, it wouldn't be so terrifying."

Elena nodded her head though she looked sad. Ric placed his hand on her knee once again before compelling her. "I have some questions. Answer them honestly."

"I will answer everything honestly."

"Do you have doubts about this?" Alaric questioned her as Elena nodded.

"Yes. But I know I have to do this."

"Are you afraid?"

Elena shook her head. "More sad than afraid."

"Why sad?"

"Because I don't want to stop loving him," she answered in a monotone voice as Ric sighed slightly.

"Do you trust me, to be digging around in your mind?" he asked her consent so Elena nodded.

"I trust you completely."

Alaric was scared to begin because he didn't want Elena deleting his best friend out of her life like that. But also she was hurting and maybe moving on without Holden was for the better. "Okay. Well then let's-let's get started... Who is Holden Salvatore?"