♕ seventeen

Haneul placed down her pen, she had nothing else to write in her letter that was supposed to be sent to her cousin. She told him everything about her life so far, besides the fact of her torn love life.

The queen had no idea what else she was supposed to tell him, but the length of the letter wasn't satisfying for her to send to him just yet. In the end, she let it on hold and tried to clear her mind before writing again.

A sudden knock on her door that morning surprised her again. As what anyone would do, she walked towards her door. However, before twisting the knob open, she paused for a while. The last time she opened the door revealed her husband behind it and the kiss they shared caused her regret.

She hesitated for a while but she decided she must be brave to do something she chose. Haneul opened the door, expecting Yoon Oh as he was the only logical one to be awake at such early in the morning. To her surprise, it was another person. Someone she had been longed to see.

Without a second thought, Haneul caught him in an embrace. At that moment, she didn't think about anything else than to embrace him. The whole two weeks without him made her miss him so much. Haneul questioned her love for him too much and she decided she must see him soon.

Having Jeno right in front of her calmed her, she was joyous. The fact that she was able to see him unharmed, together with his charming smile was even better.

"I'm happy to know I was missed." He managed to mumble at the crook of her neck. Jeno then invited her out, he wanted to go to the place where they previously spent the night together. As quiet as they could, the managed to walk out of the palace and into the forest together.

They were having some sort of a picnic, without much food that is. Both of them ended up chatting on what they did while both of them were apart. There was a bugging feeling inside Haneul to tell him the truth so at least, if he were to hate her, she'd feel much free and less guilty.

It wasn't that Haneul didn't love Jeno anymore, and it wasn't because she wanted Yoon Oh. She loved Jeno a lot, she didn't want to hurt him. She preferred sacrificing herself rather than watching Jeno living in vain without her doing anything.

"The area stink of smoke. I almost suffocated." He said while plopping a strawberry into his mouth. "That's awful." Haneul commented, imagining the smell of smoke being inhaled into the lungs was just pure disturbing and suffocating.

Jeno made a face of distaste as well at the thought. "That reminds me, I have something for you." He said out of the blue which caught her off guard. "If it's a dead bird, I won't speak to you ever again." Haneul warned him and the male chuckled.

"Close your eyes—" he was cut off. "Jeno, I swear if you—" she was doubting this playful prince. "Believe me, just close your eyes." He said and after a moment of hesitation, Haneul looked at him right in his eyes. A flash of sincerity in it, before she finally closed her eyelids.

Haneul felt Jeno's hand on her palm but she felt nothing else rather than his palm. The queen knew he was playing games with her and was about to open her eyes to call him out when she felt a soft press on her lips.

Jeno told her to trust him so she did, the queen didn't open her eyes at all and simply kissed him back. After a while, they let go and Haneul felt something on her palm. She looked down and found a pair of earrings.

It was simple jewellery, a pair of rose coloured diamond earrings. She was surprised, as she had never received jewellery as gifts before. "I picked rose because you look beautiful in that colour." He complimented and she couldn't help but to blush.

It was then, she realised she had never pierce her ears before. Unknowingly, she touched her ears and figured out she should set a date to pierce it. "You need not to pierce your ears if it hurts you." He said, realising that Haneul seemed to be distracted.

"No, I've always wanted to give it a try." She replied, smiling at him reassuringly. She wasn't bothered about the pain of getting her ears pierced, she thought of something else. Jeno must've thought about her a lot during his two weeks leave, but she felt as if she wasn't doing the same.

Guilt was eating her alive again, if he knew, he'd be disgusted of her as well. Jeno didn't deserve someone like her, he was so kind, so generous. "Jeno, there is something you must know." She called out, her voice almost became a whisper as she was nervous.

The prince raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to continue but his smile never left. "I... don't ever leave again, please." Haneul confessed, she could hear her heartbeat, it was loud. The next thing she was about to say would determine their fate.

Jeno pressed his lips into a thin line and cupped her face in one hand. He told her before he was going to leave for two years next time. "I'm scared I would have a change of heart." Haneul admitted. She expected for Jeno to let go of her but he didn't, he held her face and kept his gaze on her.

"It's inevitable when you're married to someone else." He said and his words broke her heart a little. The fact that he might've suspected this to happen proved how evil she was to let it happen behind his back.

"I don't mind, Haneul. As long as you're happy, even if there's only a tiny space in your heart for me, I'm truly grateful." He smiled and this time Haneul braved herself to look at him. "I'm sorry." Unknowingly, she cried and hugged him. "You don't deserve this—"

"Don't say that. I chose you, and I have no regrets." The prince muttered and kissed the top of her head. Yes, it was true after all. He knew this confession would come and he had prepare for it. He wasn't expecting that it would hurt him, though not much but it was hard for him to handle.

〚 王 〛
🐾woops, im missing out a lot
but today is the star's bday!
KWON SOONYOUNG💕