♕eight

Despair? Shocked?

Haneul was lost for words. She looked around her, servants were avoiding to look, her parents kept on a straight face, so does his parents. Everyone was stunned of what had happened.

She then tore her gaze from her surroundings and looked at him. He was skilful, cunning and yet he had the sweetest smile flashed for her as he outstretched a hand to help her. Haneul stared at everything for a while, processing what would be her future afterwards.

As she took his hand, he pulled her to her feet, and only then she realised something. It was something new, foreign. One that has never happened to her before. She lost.

Many times had princes come to battle against her for her hand in marriage, none had succeeded. Even on their second trial. However, this prince, he was unexpected. At first, Haneul was going easy on him as according to his brother, he wasn't much of a fighter but they were both wrong.

She didn't lose because she was reckless, no. She lost because he was simply better than her. The princess' thoughts were cut off when the king clapped his hands enthusiastically as he approached the two.

"Well then, my children. The wedding is set to be soon I presume." He held them both on the shoulders before looking at her father. The two kings gleefully made their way to the castle, ready for a joint of kingdoms.

Haneul was still silent, she couldn't find the right words to speak. She wasn't ready for marriage, this wasn't her plan. Why did it go so wrong? She took a look at the prince, for a while he had a shock expression too but it disappeared too quickly.

"Are you hurt?" He asked and the princess blinked a few times before shaking her head as a reply. He noticed she was confused and uncomfortable, so he took a step to move away. To give her space. As the prince excused himself, he revealed another prince behind him.

He had a dejected expression, though he tried to mask it both of them could clearly see his feelings. And at that moment, Haneul could hear a loud crash in her heart though she couldn't understand why. Her eyes sting, but she didn't want to cry in front of him. She tried to look away but she just couldn't. Haneul hoped for the prince to say something to assure her, like she assured him of what would happen today.

However, the male said nothing but simply smiled. Funny, how the two brothers had such lovely smiles. He flashed the sweetest smile at her, a sign of reassurance. They both found themselves staring at one another until a voice broke their moment.

"Your Highness, I must get you cleaned up." Haneul looked to her side and saw Lula approaching her. The princess wanted to say something, but she found herself choking at her own words. So, she left the prince hanging, like the words she had unspoken for him.

〚 王 〛

The princess excused herself early from dinner. She couldn't share the excitement everyone else was feeling for the upcoming wedding. She was drowning in her own thoughts as well as suffocating in her fate.

As she entered her room, she instantly plopped herself on the bed. Though she couldn't bring herself to cry. Haneul can't seem to find the reason for her tears. Her heart was aching so much for a wedding she wasn't prepared, but was that solely the reason?

"You don't have to marry if you don't want to."

A sudden voice quickly made her sit on the bed and be on full alert. The princess rounded her eyes as she caught sight of the prince inside her bedroom.

"What are you doing—"

"Forgive me, I know I shouldn't be here but I can't help but to feel guilty." Yoon Oh said as he took a step closer to her bed. "You shouldn't apologise for your strength, my prince." She replied, touching her cheek lightly to make sure she didn't cry just now.

Yoon Oh pulled his lips into a thin line. "I meant it, if you want to call off the wedding, just know that I'd agree with you." He said, but Haneul could sense a hint of sadness in his voice. "Absurd, our families are looking forward to it. I don't want to be the one to ruin the enthusiasm. Besides, Father said we'll have a powerful kingdom together." She repeated, like a script. It sounded soulless.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, I'm just surprised as no one had ever won over me." Haneul said, pausing for a while. The unsettled feeling was coming back. "It would be an honour to become your queen." She forced herself into a smile, a dignified smile.

At those words, the prince broke into a grin. For a while, they stared at each other until a knock interrupted them. Instantly, the both were struck into panic mode.

"Your Highness, may I come in?" It was a familiar voice, her court lady. Haneul didn't know where to hide the prince as everywhere in her chamber was an open space and Lula was known with her wittiness. However, the prince was calmer than her. He made himself to her balcony and hid behind the doors and curtains. Or at least she thought so.

Haneul cleared her throat and straightened herself before opening the door. "Yes, Lula?" She tried to look normal as the court lady made her way into her chamber. "I need to change the dressings for your wound." The lady said and instantly the princess stopped her.

"It's fine, I did it on my own." "What, that's nonsen—" The lady was about to argue with her but she was quick to stop her. "I'm tired Lula, good night." Instantly, she dropped on her bed dramatically and pretended to fall asleep.

The court lady laughed, before switching off the lights and closed the door behind her. Haneul waited for a while until the court lady was truly away from her bedroom before walking up to the balcony. She wanted to make sure Yoon Oh wasn't there anymore.

As she made her way to the balcony, she couldn't spot him at all which she concluded he left. How, she didn't know. It was just like how Jeno climbed into her room the other day. A smile crept her face at the thought of him.

Would things be the same still even after she was married to Yoon Oh? Would she be able to explain her feelings for Jeno before it was too late?

〚 王 〛
🐾 nct's fan party was so fun
why wasn't i born in korea?! 😭