3

“GET DOWN” Gail shouted in a whispered tone to Andy who was still glaring towards the scene, suffering from a delayed reaction. They both ducked and leaned so that the front of the car and the dashboard would protect them.

“Call it in!” Gail took charge as she came to the idea first, and McNally willingly obliged. Gail slowly peered above the dashboard, trying to find any indication towards what was happening just 100 feet away. Gail could hear McNally firing off information down the radio but only heard it in small chunks as her full attention was being used by her vision. As Gail heard her partner call for back up and reinforcement, Gail tried to reposition herself so that she was comfortable and go also see the melee. Everyone was still running around and away from the scene and the other half of people stood confused, not understanding why other were running as they obviously hadn't heard the news by mouth yet and just as Andy looked down towards the computer screen to give their current address and position, another gunshot rang throughout the air, this time shattering the window screen of the car.

McNally let out a small scream which was broadcast over the radio as out of fright she squeezed the communication button. Briefly stunned, McNally looked to her left to check on Gail, and was relieved to see her looking straight back at her with a look that screamed 'that was close'. They didn't know what was going on. Where the gunman was or why the attack had even taken place.

Gail moved slightly and to Andy it looked like she was trying to get out the car.

“NO, no,okay, just saying but the only thing we can do is wait for back up and it's surely unsafe to leave the vehicle now as we must have been seen by now. I mean, the window screen is smashed! I doubt it could have been by accident, like wrong place, wrong time. I mea-”

Gail shook her head and interjected talking fast paced “Andy, now is really not the time to be babbling. I wasn't getting out the car, just getting my gun out of my pant holster.”

Andy nodded in agreement at how true Gail had just been and finally her head became a lot clearer and began to process things like a normal cop. Suddenly Andy looked at Gail and smirked with narrowed eyes. “Hey, you called me Andy?” A small wave of breakthrough made Andy smile before Gail could quip back “That's your name isn't it?” With a slight hint of bitterness mixed with the words, a Gail special, but also there was humor to it.

The radio bleeped and came to life when the officers on the other end declared their ETA was approximately 5 minutes due to a car blocking the only road to the warehouse. Andy cursed her luck under her breath, but in the silence Gail could hear it. Andy was glad to know help was on the way regardless.

Andy had been staring in Gail's direction partly to the way she was laying on the seat that had been reclined back to ensure more room was available to be used to their aid. Gail, however, had been staring at the glove compartment, completely fixated on it since the radio transmission 1 minute ago. When suddenly, Gail broke eye contact with the compartment in front of her and turned to Andy, looking deep into her eyes again to maintain attention and make sure she was listening. Gail's face didn't look emotionless anymore, it looked serious and Andy realised this immediately which made her uneasy.

“On the roof. This figure in a white hoody or a white sweatshirt. I think.. he was.. the shooter. I couldn't tell which gender. Only that. They got merged. With the rest. Of the crowd. I couldn't see after that.”

Andy nodded, taking mental note of the information and admiring Gail's ability to make such a controlled observation in such panic. Gail started again “You need to remember that. And tell the guys that when they get here.” Gail closed her eyes for a long time and gulped. Andy, growing more confused by the second was completely unsure of why her partner was speaking like this. Gail opened her eyes, showing red and watery eyes and a tear ran down her face, tracing her unique cheek bones. “I never thought i'd say this but you actually mean a lot to me”

“What?.. What are you talking about? You're not making sense Gail?” Andy spoke without even thinking about her words, curiosity was getting the better of her as she was confused with the way Gail was acting.

Another tear ran down the opposite check this time and Gail simply broke a half smile and looked down at where her bloody, shaking hand was clutching.