chapter 2

“Hey maybe we should take this call, it's only near the river, just a few blocks away” Andy mentioned professionally, trying to change the subject which she was still replaying in her mind and struggling not to laugh out loud again over.

“Alright caffeine killer, switch to blue” Gail sarcastically muttered half nastily, half apathetic to her collegue McNally. Even though they had been in the academy together before joining the 15th division as rookies, Gail who preferred to not let anyone close to her always called people by their last names as it kept people at arms length.

There is was, Ridgemount. A place where cops where normally dispatched to due to petty arguments of the workers who were dealing with the processes of their shipping business and occasional teens smoking pot on the shoreline, under a disused pier.

Blue lights illuminated the freshly fallen snow on the leaves of the slowly disappearing trees as nature slowly turned to tarmac and scuffed concrete.

“Mother nature at it's finest. Place of beauty don't you think?” Gail sarcastically commented, although Andy was sure it was a rhetorical question and therefore didn't respond. As the car grew closer the actual warehouse came into view, distant but the crowd was starting to become visible. Another 200 metres and the pair could start to get control of things and be off hopefully before 2am. The bass of the music was penetrating the car now and both officers could feel the vibrations in their feet.

Andy dimmed the cars headlines and glanced around more carefully now, as to not crash into any of the broken and low concrete bollards, speficially designed by the police and council to stop cars from being driven up to this area. Andy now cursed this bright idea mentally as it obviously made it difficult for police to approach the target area. Observing the 100+ crowd, Andy spoke out loud to her partner.

“Maybe we should call for back up. There must be outnumbered at least 50 or 60 to 1. I doubt they'll pay any attention or even know we're their from how loud the music is”

Gail sighed and rolled her eyes, not towards Andy, but mostly to the kids for bringing her there in the first place. “Look, we're cops, let's do out job and clear this space out.”

“How are we even going to get their attention in the first place though?” Andy innocently questioned.

“C'mon McNally, think for yourself a little. All we gotta do is try an unorthodox method. A little gunshot in the air and all eyes will be on us. Think of it as crowd control in a way.. they'll disperse quickly and we can grab ANOTHER coffee. And you can buy it considering mine is on my uniform and not in my stomach, keeping me awake.” Gail stated matter of factly, and Andy was completely unsure whether she was being sarcastic or not but wanted to make sure anyway.

“Shooting your weapon for no good reason.. I'm not sure that is in the rule book” Andy thought she'd get that point across and pushed her hair back behind her ear as it was in the way of her view.

Gail turned and lent towards the drivers seat, looking deep into Andy's eyes and making sure her full attention was being paid to the words about to be said. “Do you always do what the rule book says McNally?” Gail said this in a promiscuous way, almost in a flirting tone and Andy broke eye contact smirking away out the window.

“Okay, okay. Shouldn't have even asked. We'll leave the car here and approach on foot. We're only 100 feet away, so the car is close enough if we have to make any arrests.” Andy declared and switched the engine off.

Just as Andy and Gail made eye contact with each other and smiled at each other to signal they had no other real plan and should start on this one, a gunshot rang out in front of them, coming from the warehouse and screaming groups of people began to dart in different directions. The music scratched to a halt and the silence of the air suddenly surrounding the pair almost began suffocating Andy.