Marty should've been able to get himself dressed every morning, but these last few weeks, he had barely been able to keep himself together. He cried at the slightest thing, and pronounced daily that he didn't want to go to school or leave her side. At night, Marty climbed into her bed nearly every night.

"Nightmares," he told her, his lips right against her cheek.

"Monster is gonna come for me."

She had rolled her eyes at his wild-running imagination, but always tousled his hair, called him 'Squirt', and cuddled him closer. She loved him more than anything.

So it struck her as odd when she opened the door to find Marty's room empty, his whole bed turned over, the paintings and drawings he made in school blown to bits and scattered around the room.

"C'mon Marty, I have to get to school," she looked under the bed and in the closet. "Stop playing around."

At first, she didn't worry. Marty loved to play games, and he couldn't care less about making it to school on time. She didn't start to really worry until she had searched the whole house and the back yard.

"I can't find him, Teta..." she said, not expecting her to answer.

"He's not here."

"What?" Manhattan bent down to look in her glassy marble eyes.

"Bashir came and took him," she said.

"...But he'll bring him back for dinner."

That's when Manhattan knew that something was not right. She took off down Tamarama street, Bacon running at her heels, calling his name, knowing he wouldn't answer.

&&&&

Josie had the distinct impression he was being watched.

And he was, by just about everyone at his school.

He had woken up in the morning with the idea that he had tried to kill the only person who had ever believed in him, and had no memory of anything that happened after that.

He looked out his window. He couldn't quite see the front of the store through his window, but people walked up and down the sidewalk as if it were just the usual day. News people sat waiting for him to come out. Mrs. Fockerson was running around looking for Ludivine Dorkely to see if she could buy some clams, but was flummoxed and threw her hands up in the air in utter despair when she was told she wasn't going to be coming in today.

Rhonda Blathers was interviewing Mrs. Kippelibby on the front lawn, who apparently had more information to give them. It didn't look like the front of the building had been blown out. Everything looked the same.

Josie saw Emerald walking out the side door of her house and getting in her dad's jeep. She stopped before getting in and stared at the Organic Food Store. Then got in and closed the door behind her.

"She got out," he thought to himself.

"Did she leave Trinket?"

There was still a mob of people standing on the curb outside Trinket's house carrying signs of support and love, so he guessed Trinket was still in the crab pot. Emerald probably had no idea how she got out. She probably woke up scared and confused, as if it had all been a dream.

Just like he did.

That's when Josie realized he was holding something in his hand. Trinket's pacifier.

He thought about how alone she must be feeling and to not have this stupid little plastic thing that gave her so much comfort must be even harder for her. He tried to push the thought away.