15. Reconciling the Sun

Start from the beginning

Kiva couldn't stop himself from jumping up and down. "We did it!" he shouted. "Glimmer Mountains, here we come." He slapped Hero on the back as they soared over the palace. All the residence had gathered on the rooftop to see them off and cheered as they passed over.

"Onward to victory!" The royals and servants shouted. "Victory for Recomine, victory for the world!"

Hero waved to them as they passed over. They soared over the well traveled road where children raced in the kite's mighty shadow. They soared over the forest that was once bare from winter but now was a lush dark green. The passed other residences where the people had come out to wave and wish them well.

When the last house passed from view Hero turned his attention to the white mass in the distance. The wind stirred around him and squinting his eyes he turned to the sun.

"What's wrong?" Kiva asked at his side.

"Look at it," he said. "It looks almost weightless."

Kiva looked at the sun. "It's ahead of the mountains," he said. "I've never seen it so far north."

"Maybe it's come back to us." Lahar said as she checked her harness. "Maybe it's time it were reconciled."

"The sun fights on their side," Hero said to himself. "Yes, yes I see it now." He turned back to the sun. "We'll use it against them."

"Hero?" Lahar frowned.

                Hero laughed. "Welcome back!" He shouted into the sky. "Welcome back old friend." He looked down at the ground far below as it went rushing by. So far the flight was going smooth. It took an hour to reach the Glimmer Mountains by air and from there the dragons body stood out like a beacon so Hero gave the command to raise it higher into the clouds while Kiva and Lahar flew down to guide it around the tall spires. Hyxoes took position as look out below the tail of the dragon. When they spotted the Tangian camp he passed the message and a few Nagorins went down to gather them together. The Tangian battalion was an army of mixed companies. It consisted of Recomine citizens as well as many refugees from other lands.

                "Have you ever seen anything like this, Wessex?" Elim asked the white lion.

                "Not in all my living days," Wessex said.

With the foot army traveling in the shadow of the kite Hero let it drift slowly on the wind. They would arrive at the frozen valley soon and if Druid had done his part there was where the Mounts would be. 

"This is it, Nagoray." Hero said into the wind. "Either I'll come home to you or you will never see me again."

/

The Mounts were making slow progress through the Glimmer Mountains. The challenge was turning out to be too much for the ill prepared soldiers. A few had even collapsed in the snow only to be stepped over by the others and left to freeze to death.

"How is the canon?" General Roman Kasper asked.

Istanbul checked under the tarp. "She still looks good," he shouted.

At hearing that Roman Kasper marched on. He was determined to reach Recomine as soon as possible and gave no thought to the welfare of his troops. When they came upon a wall of fallen rocks he halted the army.

Emperor Cato made his way to the front of the line. He walked to the edge of the pass and looked into the precipice. "Looks like the only way is straight over the top."

"Or through it," Roman Kasper said. "Munich!" He barked at his cousin. "Bring dynamite. We are going to blow our way straight through this mountain."

As the zebra obeyed orders Emperor Cato faced the General. "I admire your enthusiasm Kasper but won't explosives alert them that we are here?"

When Munich returned Roman Kasper snatched the dynamite stick from him. "No one is out here." He commanded the army back around the bend then had Istanbul light the fuse.

The explosion rent the air sending rock and snow spewing from the mountain side and a rumble though the earth.

Druid's army raised their heads at the sound of it and a smile came to the cheetah's icy lips. "They have come," he said. "To me!" He shouted to his army.

"What about the Nagorins?" Corinth asked. "There has been no word from them."

"They'll be here." Druid said. "March out!" He commanded his army and the white armored troops fell into line to take their position above the frozen valley.

As the dust settled Roman was the first to move forward then the rest of the army followed, heaving the canon through the mountain. The stallion was looking into the precipice when a shadow began to engulf the mountains. He glanced around all sides then looked up as gasp came from his soldiers.

The bright yellow sun that had lit their way thus far through the dangerous range was suddenly blackening.

"What is it?" Many began to murmur and ask.

"An Eclipse," Munich said and Roman Kasper glared at him. "I've never seen one myself but...I've read about them. It happens when a—"

"Shut up, Munich!" Kasper barked. "If I wanted to hear from you I would ask you to speak. The blackening of the sun is a clear sign from the Triad that we will have victory." He looked over the doubtful troops.

"It is an omen." They began to say. "The Triad is not with us. We have angered the gods." They began to fall down in prayer.

"Up! Up all of you!" Kasper barked. He walked through the ranks pulling them all up out of the snow as the mountains darkened until all was black save for a golden ring in the sky.

"Get yourselves together!" Cato roared. "Bellum has lead us this far and she will never abandon us. Get up and fight for my majesty!"

The soldiers collected themselves at the order of the Emperor. He marched them on along the pass and once he had everyone going he turned to General Kasper.

"I have put the fate of my nation in you. Do not let me down." He glared at him then marched away under the darkness.

Roman Kasper shot a killing look at his cousin who had seen the confrontation. Marching away he joined Torotto near the canon. "Kill anyone who looks back." He commanded then returned to the front of the line.

" He commanded then returned to the front of the line