15. Reconciling the Sun

.Hero and Kiva waited patiently in the palace ballroom. Servants went about their business moping and dusting. The floor was so shiny that when Hero looked down he could see his reflection as if he were looking into a mirror.

When he heard the door open he turned to the entrance. He was stunned as Uhua walked in wearing long flowing robes and a tiara upon her head.

"Uhua! You look..." He didn't know how to describe this new sister and Kiva certainly wasn't offering any words.

"When they said I had an audience I didn't know it would be you two," Uhua said.

"We said we were the brothers of Princess Uhua," Hero said.

Uhua nodded. "I'm known as Grand Duchess Uhua now," she said. "They may have thought you meant trouble. But never mind all of that, why have you come? I'm guessing you need something from the Grand Duke."

Hero sighed. "You are right," he said. "You do know we are planning to stop the Mount army?"

Uhua went over to a window overlooking the palace courtyard. "Believe it or not I am happy to see you," she said. "I have received reports about your project. But I only thought it was misinformation." She looked back at her brothers. "But it is true. You are planning to fight the Mounts."

"We are," Hero said. "The dragon is ready to fly but we still need to get it off the grounds. We heard that the Grand Duke has air balloons that might help."

Uhua nodded. "He does but...Hero, it all sounds impossible and very dangerous. When I heard the reports I thought you all were out of your heads."

"Not any more than you," Kiva finally spoke. "You know, running off and marring the Grand Duke and hurting Mama."

"Kiva don't start with me!" Uhua said. "I wanted to see Mama but I just couldn't work up the courage. I was disowned after all."

"No one disowned you," Kiva said. "You disowned us."

"Stop it!" Uhua shouted "I don't have time for your arrogance and you badgering."

Hero had to put himself between them before the fight escalated. "Kiva, Uhua please," he said keeping them apart. "I know you are upset with one another but you are fighting the wrong enemy." When they both backed down he let out a breath of hot air. "We don't have much time to stop the Mounts and we only have one chance to do so. It's now or never. If we fail then the Mounts will storm into Recomine and kill everyone on sight. That goes for you and your Grand Duke too, Uhua. We need your help. You can hate us later."

Uhua looked Hero in his eyes. She had been missing her brothers and mother. She missed her family and the way things were in the years before the war. Those times were gone now; however, and now she had a responsibility. "I don't hate you," she said. "Either of you." She wrapped her arms around them both. "I will speak immediately with Euromus and we will bring the air balloons. I am with you, I will be with you."

/

You should have seen them. They will say in the future. You should have seen the day the dragon took flight, felt the wind from its massive wings, seen the queen of Nagoray herself directing the ground team as they steered the mighty beast out of the Nagorin camp by ropes from land.

Hero gave the commands and each team followed the order. As the beast rose higher into the warm blue sky it looked less like a giant kite and more like an actual dragon from a fairytale. Up and down the wings went as the tail waved in the breeze. More weight was taken from the air balloons and the dragon rose into the clouds.

"Release the ropes!" Kiva shouted and the command was carried down the length of the dragon. The ropes held by the ground team we detached and catching a breeze beneath the wings the dragon was carried away.