Spelling and Grammar

The first tip I'm going to give you (and this is one that counts for writing in general) is grammar and spelling. The quickest way to ruin your book is by having so many inaccuracies that it's impossible to read. Everyone makes mistakes, but there are ways to minimize them. 

Most people have already seen commercials for it - and I find them annoying as well - but my biggest recommendation is Grammarly. I find that, even though I make few mistakes when writing, Grammarly catches the ones that Microsoft Word and other programs don't. Small things like mistyping and adding too many letters to a word can go right through Word's filter, but after running them through Grammarly, I find far less barely noticeable errors. 

If you're on a computer, there is a Grammarly app available for Google that will prove very useful in typing. One main feature I'm very happy with is that it works with Wattpad's writing tool, meaning you don't have to work in other windows with Grammarly's own writing tool, which can still be used if you'd prefer that. 

If you're writing on a phone, there's a Grammarly app for IOS and Google Play Store. It affects your keyboard and allows Grammarly to correct your writing even on Mobile. Personally, I haven't used it, but if it's anything like the extension for Chrome, it's definitely a good idea.

In fact, I'm using Grammarly as I write this.

The second tip I have for you is using thesaurus.com to find words. Looking for synonyms and antonyms to words you already know will not only broaden your vocabulary, it will also enhance your writing.

Not using the same word too often is key in writing. If your words repeat too much, it becomes boring and repetitive. You want to engage your reader, not drive them away by using "softly" three times in two sentences. Space things out, using description and various words to fill small blanks that would have otherwise been the same word you used just a sentence or two ago.

My third tip for this category is word choice. Remember, you want your readers to understand the variety of words you use, not have to google a bunch of them. Use different words, yes, but don't use a bunch of smart-sounding words that you think are better than they actually are.

As a writer, words are your weapon, and good word choice can significantly improve your writing.

NOTE: I AM NOT SPONSORED! THIS IS NOT AN AD FOR GRAMMARLY, THIS IS A FEW GENUINE TIPS FOR WRITERS AND ASPIRING WRITERS!