Untitled Part 1

I heard his last words. They were the ones that shook my life forever. I wish I could have saved him. I wish I had known about the cure in time. It is my fault that he died. My fault Egypt couldn't bask in his glory anymore. I clutched my staff tightly as a voice behind me spoke up. A voice I would do anything to silence, a voice that proved all of my worst fears to be true. The voice said, "You could never be the magician your father was. Never. See how your incompetence has caused the country such a great loss. To think he actually believed you were powerful enough to be his adviser. You couldn't even tell him the simple truth that could have saved his life. To think he gave so much to you and you did nothing. Remember how he saved you, you insolent worm. Remember!" I sank into a flood of memories that I could do nothing to stop, except try to stop myself from drowning in the grief.

...

I remember the sun shining, brighter than I had ever known. The palm trees swayed in a gentle breeze. The water of the Nile glittered like lapis Luzi, a beautiful barge sliced through the water. But all I noticed was the senet board on the table. Me trying and trying to throw one that would take my last piece to the House of Happiness and off the board. I needed to win this game. If I didn't, I would end up the one who had to stand in front of the other in target practice. "Lost your guts have you, Astennu? Don't say that you will actually lose to Ubaid. For you are the son of the Chief Lector, and will you allow such dishonour to fall upon your family?" sniggered Amsi, and everyone laughed, for what better entertainment is there but the insult of your peers? Ignoring the insult, I threw the sticks, hoping, praying against all odds that it would land a one. I heard the clatter of the senet sticks falling on the table, gasps of my classmates, but I was almost too afraid to look. "Well well well! Who would have thought? The great pharaoh, Amsi, has been proved wrong, so dear pharaoh let's see if you could bruise your pride and stand before your humble subjects during archery practice." hearing the voice made my blood go cold. For it was none other than the prince of Egypt, Tutankhaten.

...

The world around me turned black. I was no longer in the large boathouse of the school, a year ago. Coal braziers burned along the walls. The dark pillars, painted to look like palm trees, stretched up to the ceiling that was lost in the gloom. I passed a large window to an open-air balcony that showed a marvellous view of the night sky, with a crescent moon, seeming to grin at the scene spread out below it. I wondered how Khonsu could smile so brightly, that he lit up all the world. But not even his brightest smile could shed a ray of light inside the palace. For the royal household was in a state of mourning, the pharaoh was dead. Remembering my task I shook myself out of such thoughts and prepared myself for what I might face. As I unsteadily walked into the room, I was aware of every single pore on my body, how my tunic felt rough against my skin, the heavy golden collar, warm against my skin, the smoothness of my new leather sandals. I saw my friend, head in his hands, weeping uncontrollably, only 8 years of age, and already asked to assume the throne, the sight made my step flatter. I walked over to him, placed a hand on his shoulder, thinking of who would make the first move, me or him?

But it seems that it was neither of us, for at that moment, in walked his wife, Ankhesenpaaten. She was dressed stunningly in a pure white gown, with a studded gold collar and a crown upon her head. Though her expression thoroughly contradicted her dress. Red, puffy eyes. Tear stained cheeks. And an expression so sad that she could have been Akhlys, the goddess of misery and sadness. I wondered how I could have gotten such an idea, for even though I had read many, many stories of gods and goddesses, I never remembered anything of this goddess.

Of course, you don't. She is not an Egyptian goddess. She is a greek one and a very annoying one at that. I shook my head, wondering where these thoughts were coming from, for they certainly weren't mine, and the voice, it sounded ancient, powerful, and it was definitely not mine. What was this word "greek", what did it signify?