xiii. the dinner

"Hi," Peter and Caroline both said at the same time

"Hi," Peter and Caroline both said at the same time. They laughed and blushed in embarrassment.

"You look... beautiful," Peter said, catching his breath after having run across the hallway.

"Thanks," Caroline smiled, her cheeks getting redder by the minute. "You look handsome as well, Spider-Man."

Yes! She likes the suit! he celebrated in his head. Instead, he said something else out loud.

"You used the correct name!" Peter cheered.

"I know, it's about time. I realized that I've been acting sort of like a jerk towards you lately. Just some jokes or comments that I've made haven't really been that nice. I sincerely apologize if I have ever hurt your feelings."

"No, no, no. Don't worry, I like your sense of humor," Peter smiled, trying to cheer her up.

"Well-"

"It's the man of the hour!"

Peter and Caroline both turned around and stumbled a little, realizing how close to each other they had been. Tony walked over to them and grabbed Peter by the shoulder, leaving the blushing Caroline alone.

"This isn't my suit, Parker," Tony realized.

"Oh- well, you see-"

"It's lovely to meet you, Mr. Parker," Joyce interrupted as she shook Peter's hand.

"Same to you both," Peter spoke, trying to seem fancy.

"I see you've met our daughter?" James remarked as he shook Peter's hand.

"Oh, Caroline? Yes, we study together at Midtown. Well, not study together. I meant that, like, we go to the same school," Peter spoke nervously. Caroline laughed quietly amp from a far.

"I see. So, I assume you enjoy science and technology then?" Joyce remarked.

"Yes, very much."

"I've seen videos of you in the suit you made and I'm very impressed. Hopefully one day you'll consider working at Stark Industries by day and fighting crime by night, perhaps?" Joyce suggested.