Childhood friends

~Third person POV~

It was a cold winter morning in St. Petersburg, Russia and a perfect time to skate on a frozen lake.  Not far from the countryside was a little girl no older than 9, she was skating across the frozen pond as her brown hair waved in the wind like a banner of happiness while her azure eyes were closed in content.  She did a quad salchow and began to glide on the ice. After a good few minutes of skating, she stops to catch her breath. She sees a little girl who's only 5 smiling and waving at her. The little girl had big amber eyes behind purple glasses and short platinum blonde hair that was cut in a bob. The brunette skates towards the blonde and looks her in the eye.

"Hello, did you want to skate too?", asks the brunette.

"Uh-huh! I saw you skating and thought I'd join in", beamed the blonde as she put on her skates.

"Well, be my guest. I'm  Nadiya Di Angelo, and you?"

"Maryna. Maryna Padalecki!"

The two girls continued to skate until dark (mousy! no? bye fam).  The day drew to an end and the new friends parted ways for the night, promising to see each other again the next day. The next months of winter, the girls met at the pond to skate.  As the warmer seasons came, the friends went to a skating rink and always skated together.

~five years later~

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Nadi?", asked a 10-year-old Maryna.

"Positive, Ryna", smirked the 14-year-old as she adjusted her black and white skate costume. "Doubles are our specialty."

"Ok, but I'm the feminine role right?"

"Of course, Ryna. You're smaller than me, I can lift you. Now let's go, it's our turn."

The two stepped out onto the ice, wearing matching dresses.

(Nadiya)

(Maryna)

Everyone was applauding their arrival.

"And now, Nadiya Di Angelo and Maryna Padalecki with their theme of romance. They will be skating to 'Rewrite the stars' from The Greatest Showman", said the announcers.

~ seven years later~

Maryna ran into  Nadiya's apartment with hot tears streaming down her face.

"NADI!!", cried Maryna.

"Ryna? What's wrong?!", Nadiya panicked.

"D-Demitri... H-he... HE DUMPED ME!!"

Nadiya hugged her best friend as she continued to sob violently.

"Shhh... Ryna, it's okay. He was a fool, you don't need him. Nadi's here, everything will be fine", Nadiya said softly as she rubbed Maryna's back. "I'm not like that pig, I won't leave you. You're my best friend."

"You're a good friend", Maryna said as she wiped her tears.

~six years later~

On a plane to Japan sat a now 27-year-old Nadiya, she was listening to some music as a now 23-year-old Maryna slept soundly in the seat next to her. They were not accompanied by their coach this time. 

"I hope Isaak won't lose his mind when he figures out we're gone", Nadiya said to herself.