Maddox

I nod and follow him into a yellow cab. We drive away as shouting can be heard in the distance.

Please stay safe Baudelaires...

---------------------------------------------------------------

The car ride was short with anxiety lingering in the air. No matter how hard Jacque tried to calm her nerves, Heidi's heart would start to race at the thought of putting Klaus and the Baudelaires in trouble.

They soon arrive at a typical suburban house, vines entangling the ashy brick walls. She trailed close behind uncle and bit my lip nervously. Looking around, she admires paintings lining the wall with variety of scenes and people. One in particular caught her eye. It was of a young boy with brown locks and a goofy, gapped teeth grin standing besides a woman with brown hair. The boy's childish happiness couldn't help but bring a smile to Heidi's face.

"Heidi."

She heard you name called. She followed where the voice came from and walked into a living room. She spots Jacque and smiles.

"This is Maddox, a member of V.F.D. and similar past as the Baudelaires."

He gestures towards the boy. He looks as if he was the boy in the painting, just more grown up and lost tinted in his eyes. The boy smiles softly and holds out his hand, gesturing to take Heidi's hand into his. She shyly obeyed and shook hands with Maddox.

"I have to go see a friend about something that concerns the Baudelaire's rescue, keep her safe young man."

Jacque advanced towards the door and outside, the rev of an engine soon following. Heidi awkwardly looks at Maddox, unsure of what to say. Her mind drifted towards the menacing glare she had received from Olaf before her escape, as you could call it. She thought of Klaus calling out towards her.

"Who's Klaus?"

Maddox asks, with a confused and interested expression drawn across his face. She looks towards him confused, shaking her head to re-awaken herself to reality.

"Sorry, zoned out. Were you reading my mind or something?"

Heidi jokes and giggles, stretching out her heels but going up and down on tip toes. Her response must have sounded hilariously stupid because Maddox burst out with laughter.

"No of course not. You had whispered out his name without realising it."

Her face flushes pink and she shyly smiles. Hiedi walks towards are velvety red cushioned couch and sits down, admiring art strown above a fire place. She then turns towards the boy with a smile.

"The picture is beautiful, isn't it?"

The brown eyed boy joins her on the sofa, crossing his right leg over his left. He shyly smiles.

"My mother, she painted it. That was quite some time ago though."

The two talked about paintings, and weather, and most importantly, why all this madness was happening. If only Hiedi knew what would later come to the Baudelaires, maybe she would've decided against her sudden escape.