To Be Or Not To Be

CHAPTER TWO: TO BE OR NOT TO BE

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

"You can't win unless you learn how to lose."

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

Rin looked at herself in the mirror of the girls locker room. Since it was the end of the school day, and she knew she would stay for the boys Volleyball practice, she had decided that she would bring a change of clothes. As... cute as the uniform was, she really didn't want to be uncomfortable while sitting in the gym for so long. So, she stripped herself of her uniform and slipped on some stretchy form-fitting black athletic pants and a loose black tank top with her brother's school logo stamped on the front. She replaced her brown loafers with some black basketball shoes her brother sent her from America. Rin ran a hand through her shoulder length black hair and shook it around, if she thought about it she really did have a messy and choppy haircut - but she liked it. Honestly, even though Rin wasn't the girly girl type, she still thought she was somewhat attractive. Due to her having her fathers height and an athletic build, she had small breasts and a thin waist. But her long legs and arms seemed to make up for that. She had her mothers golden brown eyes instead of her fathers icy blues. But besides that, most of her features matched her fathers. Sharp cheek bones and an angular jaw, a thin pretty nose and a thin lips. She wasn't the type to wear make up - which she blamed living with only males for - she considered herself pretty enough to do without. She wasn't cocky, but she was confident.

Rin sighed, slumping her shoulders and walking towards the gym. Her sneakers squeaked as she stepped into the brightly lit gym and a small smile made it's way onto her face, looking up at the tall ceiling brought back memories. She inhaled, the smell of the gym polish reached her nose and she was sure that the smell of sweat would soon override that.

"Is that you, Rin?"

Rin tilted her head down and offered a small wave, walking towards the voice, "It's me, Jii-chan."

Her grandfather smiled as she plopped beside him, dropping her bag to the floor lazily. Her eyes were still gazing around the large gym with appreciation, before a small frown slipped it's way onto her face and she clenched her fists. Yasufumi noticed and sighed, setting a hand on her shoulder, "I'm glad you came."

Rin offered a weak smile, rubbing the back of her neck as she spoke, "Well, you are my ride home Jii-chan. And anyways, I know you wanted to show me your 'amazing' team. Even Daisuke was pushing me, you're both so annoying."

"I hope they live up to your standards."

Rin snorted, rolling her eyes and looking at the Volleyball net, "You act as if you need my approval."

Her grandfather offered her a closed eye smile, "Of course I need your approval, you're my pride and joy when it comes to Volleyball!"

Rin huffed, "I was - "

Her sentence was cut off when the gym door open and multiple sneakers squeaked against the nicely polished floor. Rin looked away from her grandfather and turned her attention to the team in front of her, immediately one of the boys let out a loud gasp and covered his mouth - his face turning as red as his practice shorts. She tilted her head in confusion and pulled a face. Most of the team was looking at her in confusion, while Kuroo was grinning in her direction and Kenma offered her a small nod.

Rin's grandfather stood, slapping his hands together and smiling at the team, "For those of who who haven't my beautiful, charming granddaughter, I'd like to introduce her to you."

Rin twitched, her eyes narrowing at her grandfather for adding so much sugarcoating to her introduction. She slowly moved her eyes back over to the team before turning her attention to their shoes, she forgot how bad she disliked meeting groups of people, "Uh, my name is Rin Nekomata. It's nice to meet you."