48 - You Are My Sunshine

Începe de la început

"Once you get through the firewalls, do you think you'll be able to reboot everything quickly? Or will it have to be done manually?" Gwen asked, hovering over his shoulder now. "Because there is so much data and code in these hubs of software, finding the right key might take all night. I bet you didn't think Mr. Stark was a hoarder. Nobody needs this much data left in a sub level."

Ned snickered. "He doesn't seem like the hoarder type. Weird." 

My hands graced my hips, time getting away from us. "Answer the question, Ned. Can you do it or not? If we've gotta' start manually searching for the right data, we can't waste more time."

Ned sent me a look. "Yes, I can do it. Come on, give me some credit, dude."

Before Gwen could even start smiling, an echo of sound was rocketing through the quiet room. My stomach was already dropping with the sound, knowing exactly what was going on upstairs. Ned clicked open another tab, searching the files for the security system. Gwen was chewing on her bottom lip. "What was that? Please tell me that wasn't what it sounded like."

I glared at the computer screen, watching as a tiny red light blinked on the floor plan of the building. "That was an iconic Goblin bomb, Norman used them all the time. It's probably radiating through the entire building but we can't feel the aftermath down here." My finger pressed against the screen. "It's coming from the roof. That's where they are."

"Do you think they're alright?" Gwen questioned. 

I couldn't even begin to wonder. "Well, let's find out."

The soles of my shoes echoed on the flooring as I started for the doorway. Gwen followed behind me without question. Ned rounded in his chair, voice high pitched. "Where are you going?"

"Stay here, Ned. You said you can reboot the system without having to manually do it. Which means you really don't need us down here. You've got this, okay?" I told him. "Just...get it done quick and get help. We're gonna' go save our friends."

We were already leaving him alone before he could begin to question anything. As we hurried away, I could hear him mumbling under his breath but I had no time to wonder what he was cursing about. Weaving back through the maze of rooms was much easier the second time around and soon enough, we were climbing towards the rooftop, deciding against the elevator. Thankfully, no rumbles of explosions echoed through the tower on our journey up. Once we reached the rooftop, Gwen was heaving open the heavy door as cold air hit our faces. Wind whipped at our skin but it wasn't the turn of the weather that had my throat closing up. It was the very sight of New Goblin towering over Peter Parker.

Harry's skin was still tinted with green, his eyes almost completely filled with madness. Peter was scurrying away from him on hands and knees, his mask peeled away from his face with the fire of an explosion. Blood dotted his suit and it looked like he was trying to push away the pain that had already been inflected on his body. "Harry! No!" 

The screams left my throat before I could even think and New Goblin twisted around to face us both, teeth snapping with terror. He barely even looked like Harry Osborn anymore. Gwen sucked in a deep breath, a curse slipping from her lips. Peter's head snapped around to face us too, a mixture of relief and anger flashing in his eyes. 

"Come to save the day, too?" New Goblin cackled. "Wonderful." 

He stalked away from Peter, who was struggling to get to his feet. My gaze swept the rooftop, finally noticing Cindy Moon, her white suit covered in black ash. She was lying close to Mary Jane, who was tied up against a nearby pillar. My arms curled around Gwen, pushing her towards Mary Jane who was gagged and trying to scream. "Go!"