Chapter Sixteen--Part Two

Start from the beginning

“You’re a cheeky little flirt, aren’t you?”

“Camp,” Emma’s smile grew wider.

“Mrs. Johnson, would you please entertain Emma while Eve and I discuss ‘camp’?”

“Of course,” Mrs. Johnson said.  She placed a hand on Emma’s elbow and gently guided her out of the kitchen.

“I want to check this place out before we make any decisions,” Doug said when Emma was out of ear shot.

“I agree, I should research the facility and staff,” Eve said.  “But I do trust Mrs. Johnson.  If she is willing to be with Emma for the two-weeks, I think Emma will be perfectly safe.”

Eve walked with her back held stiff and straight until she was in front of the sliding glass doors that lead to the balcony.  She stared out into the evaporating light of evening and pondered her next words.

“Emma has been to summer camps before,” Eve said.  “She had wonderful experiences there.”

“Through this same group?” Doug asked.

“I don’t know.  I was little more than a child myself, but I don’t think so.”  Eve took a deep breath and faced Doug again.  “May I have the paperwork please?”  She held out a hand.  “If I could use the computer if your office, I’ll do a search on the facilities and read through reviews.”

Doug passed her the stack of paper Mrs. Johnson had given him, but he was frowning.  “Why don’t we go into my office and you can read the printed information while I dig around online?”

“I can handle it,” Eve said with a tight smile.

“You don’t have to handle it alone,” Doug said.  “You’re not alone in this anymore, Eve.”

“But I will be, won’t I?” Eve snapped.  Her eyes flashed hot as she jabbing him the papers.  “Will it be a month?  Maybe six?  Will this last another year?  At some point all of this—” she hesitated, her arms waving around frantically.  “Us living together, you supporting me and Emma financially and emotionally, it’s all going to end.  I can’t get used to depending on you.”

“What do you want me from?” Doug asked quietly.  “Do you want me to marry you and pretend that we’re going to have some happily ever after?”  He took a step toward her.  “I can’t promise you forever.  I can’t even promise you next month.  But I’m here right now, and I want to help.”

“You wanted a fucking brood mare,” Eve’s voice was bitter.

“I don’t know what I wanted,” Doug said.  “I was out of my mind when I suggested this.”  Doug took another step closer and then another, until he was able to pull her into his arms.  “But however this started, it’s all changed now.  We’re flying blind with no real plan.  That doesn’t mean we can’t depend on each other.”

“Right,” Eve said, sarcasm evident even though her face was pressed into Doug’s shirt.

Doug pulled back and tipped her chin up with his forefinger.  “We’re friends now, remember?  Friends are there for each other, friends help each other.  No matter what happens in the future, I will always be here to support you and Emma.  You aren’t alone anymore.”

Eve wanted to believe him, to believe in him; but in her heart she knew he was making promises that he had no way of keeping.  He wanted a family above all else.  She and Emma might be satisfying that need for now, but eventually he would find someone he would love.  And there was no way any woman would be comfortable with her husband being friends with the woman he’d propositioned to have his child.

“Eve?”

Eve took a deep breath and pulled out of his arms.  “We’re friends.”  She offered him a sad smile.  “Let’s check out this camp thing for Emma my friend.”