⊳ 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. A Night to Remember

Start from the beginning

         "You look so nice, Toni," Eden smiled, her arms open for an embrace that never happened. Instead, Toni stood stiff, away from her mother.

         She nodded. "Thanks," because when was she one to deny a compliment? Besides, she didn't need her mother to throw a fit right before Harry's arrival.

         Almost disappointed, Eden lowered her arms and nodded, mostly to herself in resignation that Toni wasn't going to embrace her. "Well," she cleared her throat, "I hope you have a good time."

         "I will."

         The tension was unbearably awkward, as it always was. Though they barely saw each other, Toni always trying to evade her at every turn, when they happened to pass it always ended in this silence that Toni wished would just stop. It was hideous, and her made her shuffle uncomfortably.

         Thankfully, the end came quickly when the doorbell rang and both of their heads snapped to the door. "I'll get it," Toni rushed to the door, unlocking and opening it before her mother could protest. And there, the one she was waiting for, was there; Harry.

         She smiled at the sight of him, and he smiled back at her, a little bit of nervousness bouncing around them. "Hi," he said first, looking her up and down, "You look beautiful."

         Unlike before, when her mother complimented her, her cheeks turned red and she looked down a little. "Thanks," the reply was the same, "You look good, too."

         He smiled brightly at her, and stood up a little straighter. "Thanks," he said and then laughed a little, his nerves getting to him finally.

         Her eyes then darted to the bouquet of flowers he had in hand. "We should probably get some water for those, come in," he nodded and stepped forward as she stepped out of the way, and she braced herself for what was about to come next.

         As he stepped in, her mother came into sight, and the bright smile she had turned to one of unimaginable shock at the sight of Toni's date, and for a moment she stumbled. Toni had never seen her mother stumble before.

         "Hi, Harry Osborn, nice to meet you," Harry moved swiftly, offering his hand for Eden to take.

         Her mother blinked before giving her own. "Eden Alderson," she said in return, clearing her throat again to get some control back, "Toni didn't tell me you were her date."

         He shrugged, and Toni moved out of the room to get a vase and some water for the flowers. She was sure Harry could handle her mother for a moment, and when she was alone she let out a deep breath. It was alright, only another moment, and then they would be gone.

         She could do this.

         When she came back out, and they were still talking, Toni moved up to Harry, snaking their arms together. "We really need to go," she told her mom, "I'll be home later."

         Eden looked like she wanted to protest and instead engage Harry in further conversation, but remembering her manners, nodded. "Alright, have fun," she repeated, and Toni nodded again.

         "It was nice to meet you," Harry said politely, award-winning smile to her mother before they turned and left the house.

         "She looks just like you," he commented when they were outside, the night breeze chilling her arms slightly.

         "I know. It sucks."

         Because she always looked like the one person she never wanted to see, and who she never wanted to become. Yet, it seemed fate wanted to punish her with the sight forever, and maybe even transform her into this person.