Chapter 2

Junior year ends in a flash, and then it's on to senior year before becoming college bound students with loads of freedom which is why as I helped Dylan pack his bags for his trip to South Africa ,the hope that his parents might stop him is practically nonexistent.

"Stop staring at me like that!" he sounded exasperated

"Like what?" I ask confused

" Like I'm ripping your heart out or something, it's just for the whole summer" his nonchalant tone doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't help but bait him "You sound cheery for someone who is going to away from your girlfriend for most of the summer"

His green eyes flashed with annoyance but he ignored me instead of lashing out which was pretty much the way our relationship had been going for a while now.

The tension in the room practically choked me so I mumbled out a quiet apology before i slipped out.

"Don't cry, don't cry" I chanted as I made my way down the long spiral stairs, but my traitor tear ducts refuse and soon my eyes are blinded by tears of hurt and pain.

I stood in the Knight foyer desperately searching for my keys in my purse and with a heavy heart realise that I left it in Dylan's room. I weighed my options and walking to my house about 20 minutes was looking pretty good when the devil himself came down.

"Looking for this?" the keys jingled as he moved them back and forth " Can I have it please? " I hated how needy and upset I sounded but Dylan had really done a number on me.

" Nova, babe I'm an ass"

"Yeah well, that's not new"

"I'm sorry, it's just mom and dad are arguing more and it's killing me to leave you ,you know this" he pinched the bridge of his nose clearly frustrated "And we've been arguing like crazy, it's getting too much for me, I'm doing this for my sanity but that doesn't mean I wanna leave you" he looked at me like he could see my soul and I was temporarily stunned.

"You're running away Dylan, I never pegged you for a coward" I seethed before grabbing my keys and leaving him standing the foyer.

I let his calls go to voicemail before the next three days before until it was the day before he was to travel.

"I didn't think you'd show up" his voice is gravelly and sad but melts right through my ice queen facade "Well I need those headphones you took" I deadpan "I'm kidding, I don't wanna fight when I won't see you for three months"

There's a ghost of a smile on his lips "Who knew she had a heart" I plop down on the bench beside him "Shut up, I can change my mind" but I knew it was only a bluff. Dylan Knight was my kryptonite, my weakness and strength all in one.

" You won't" he sounded so sure and for a moment i hated how much Dylan knew me "I'm so sorry Ovy" he took a couple of deep breaths "You were right, I am running but it's also a chance to do something really meaningful with myself and I hate that I won't see you, or hold you and the thought is already fucking killing me on the inside" and despite his earlier very poor defense I understood where he was coming from.

I slipped my hand into his and squeezed tight "We're stronger than distance and I don't like it but I understand more than you know"

"I'm gonna miss you so damn much, Nova and I love you really"

"I'll miss you more and i love you too" his expert lips capture mine at that and the familiar fluttering of butterflies in my stomach isn't absent .The kiss is consuming and passionate but it almost feels like a goodbye.

As he boarded the plane that dreary Tuesday morning, I wasn't as confident in us being stronger than distance like I told him Monday evening on that park bench.