Chapter 3: Revelations (revised)

Start from the beginning

He finished a second later, sitting the guitar down next to him as he sighed. "I feel much better. What did you think, Serperior?"

"Serrr." The grass snake gave a smile.

"I agree with Serperior. You're getting better." Anabel said.

"You think so, huh?" He turned his head around. "What about you, Lillie?"

Lillie snapped out of her stupor, somewhat surprised that Ash noticed her walk up. "Uhh... I think it was pretty good."

"Hmm." Ash hummed as he pet his Serperior lightly. "I assume you want answers."

Lillie finally tried to form her glare again, but she stopped doing it as she couldn't bring herself to hold it. 'Why am I not mad anymore? Is it the setting...?'

"That is why we ran out here." Anabel said. "The setting can purge negative emotions from the body, which is why you aren't mad anymore."

Lillie widened her eyes. "How did you know?"

"Your expression." Ash answered for her.

Lillie blinked. "Huh?"

"The way you tried to glare, but you suddenly found that you couldn't. Most people can read body language easily to tell just how a person is feeling and what may be going on in their head." Ash explained.

Lillie scoffed. "And you know that how? You weren't exactly the smartest when I knew you back in Alola."

Anabel giggled at the comment while Ash just shrugged. "Anabel here taught me."

"Really?" Lillie said in slight surprise. "Even back in Alola, I never pegged you as one to sit still long enough to grasp some things."

Anabel smiled. "Oh, he still isn't. I just know how to deal with his energy."

Ash simply rolled his eyes with a bit of a laugh. "Well, times have changed. And so have I actually."

Lillie looked him over. "So I see. Looks like you grew up these last 2 years."

Ash nodded. "And so have you. You're different now. I never would've guessed you wanted to challenge the Battle Frontier back when we were in Alola."

"Well, you inspired me. You inspired all of us. Everyone in Alola was hoping you would come back someday and meet with them until... the news article came out."

"Is that so?" Ash asked neutrally. He figured after her angry reaction from before that this topic would come up.

"Of course. But now I want answers." Lillie demanded.

"Then you'll get them. Ask away." He told her.

"Kanto's news center let out an article that had said you died two years ago. Your mother said that your body was not recoverable and only a small funeral was held. Yet you're right here." She pointed out. "So what happened?"

Ash sighed. "Two years already, huh?" Ash sat up and Anabel put a hand on his shoulder for moral support. "Well... it's a long story."

Lillie took a seat on the ground in front of them. "I've got time."

So Ash chose to do the long version of the story, considering Lillie wasn't planning on going anywhere. The pale teen listened to the story, making sure to catch each detail he mentioned. However, Ash left out a couple of particular details for safety reasons and managed to properly cover it all up, leading to the end of the story.

"-so once I left, my mother decided to report to the police that I died in an accident and that my body was unretrivable. Everyone else besides the Oaks and Tracey believed them, but there wasn't anything the others could do without proper evidence to turn the tables. Nothing would change even if I went back."