Chapter 11: So Patriotic

So Patriotic

On Friday night, Sean picked me up at exactly seven.

We chose to ride separately from James and Mia for multiple reasons, the most pressing of which being that I believed it would be good for James to pick Mia up in a typical date-like fashion.

Unsurprisingly, James fucked that up.

"What do you mean you forgot?" I hissed as we stood outside the restaurant.

Sean was taking a phone call a few yards away, giving me ample time to interrogate, and evidently shame, James.

"I don't go on dates, Sutton," James whispered back, tugging anxiously at his sleeve. "I do not date. James Hadley does not go on dates. But here I am, on a date!"

I glanced quickly at Sean to make sure his attention was still on his phone call before replying with, "As cute as talking about yourself in third person is, I don't see how that explains you forgetting to pick her up!"

"I. Don't. Go. On. Dates."

I groaned and threw my arms in the air.

Our reservation was for 7:15, but since James showed up at 7:10 without Mia, we were forced to push it back. Mia, of course, didn't seem surprised when it became apparent that James had gotten a key aspect of their date severely wrong. She immediately stated that she would just meet us there and added that it was better than him standing her up. I couldn't argue with that logic, but made a mental note that my date had been perfectly on time.

In James' defense, he did seem genuinely upset upon realizing his mistake, and even wanted to go pick her up himself. But we all assured him that would just waste more time, so he was left anxiously standing outside the restaurant, hands pulling at his shirt and eyebrows drawn together. I realized, with a hint of childlike glee, that he was nervous.

When Mia finally appeared in a delicate black dress and diamond earrings that glimmered in the light, James was somehow able to perfectly illustrate being in awe and, still, slightly ashamed. He realized, in that moment, what he had accidentally left behind.

Boy are so stupid.

"Hey," he said, stepping toward her and immediately leaning to give her a kiss on the cheek.

Despite everything, Mia beamed up at him. It was the kind of look that gave me reassurance. This could work, this could work, this could work. If nothing went wrong, I'd have a happy couple and a happy bank account.

"Are we ready?" Sean appeared at my side, smiling politely and looking handsome as ever.

When Mia saw him she raised her eyebrows to me. A rush of pride swelled within me. Something about Mia's approval made me feel better about Sean and the entire situation. If Mia - beautiful, kind, smart, Mia - liked Sean, that meant he couldn't be too bad. After all, she liked James Hadley, and after a week of knowing him I was coming to realize that he wasn't the bastard he appeared to be.

The girl had decent taste.

"We haven't met yet," Sean said. He took a step toward Mia and extended his hand. "I'm Sean."

"Mia," she responded as the shook hands. If James and I were to reenact the same action we'd look absolutely ridiculous, but someone Mia and Sean pulled it off. "I've heard a lot about you, Sean."

Sean's eyebrows raised and he looked at me. "Oh really," he mused. He smiled in my direction. "All good things I hope?"

"It's confidential," Mia joked.