[18] Vanishing Act

Start from the beginning

Once again I refrained from saying anything and just gave him a look. “What?” he asked as he held the door open for me.

I just shook my head and laughed, “Nothing. Just admiring your car.”

It was his turn to give me a look.

He got in the car a split second later, revving the engine to life.

“So, where are we going?” I asked as I started fumbling with the stereo.

He slapped my hands away and turned it to a rock station, “It’s a surprise.”

I sat back with my arms crossed and just stared him down.

“You’re not intimidating me,” he said with his eyes on the road as he sped down the driveway.

Deciding it wasn’t worth it, I turned away and looked out my window. I watched as the tree’s became further and further apart.

Julian then pulled the car into a parking lot that held a lot of cars like his. He parked the car and turned it off, “Where are we?” I asked as I turned to face him but he was no longer in the driver’s seat.

The next thing I knew the passenger door opened and Julian held his hand out to me.

Slowly and self-consciously I obliged as he pulled me from the car.

It turned out we were at a large carnival for the wealthy. Something he obviously was.

The place was crowded with people. To be perfectly honest, with my isolation that past few months I was absolutely overwhelmed. Without even thinking about it I hung close to Julian’s side as we walked up to a counter for wrist bands.

I felt exhilarations as I looked around and seen all the different rides. It was almost the same size as an amusement park.

I heard Julians chuckle beside me as I took in everything.

“What?”

“You look like a little kid in a candy shop.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Well, it just so happens that this might as well be a candy shop because I intend to ride every ride- and you are too!” I said as I grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the first ride I laid eyes on.

***

“I’m hungry,” I finally said after two hours.

“Okay. Here,” He said as he handed me a wad of cash. “Get whatever you want.”

Eyeing him suspiciously, I took the money and went to get an elephant ear.

It was around four now and the place was swamped. We had ridden every ride at least twice and I was content. To be completely honest, I was beginning to become a little claustrophobic. There too many people, too many voice. It was beginning to feel as if someone was running their nails over a chalkboard.

I was slowly going insane. I needed some peace and quiet. I needed to go home. As much as I hated to admit it, I was missing the manor.

Looking around, I looked for Julian but he was anywhere in sight. I whirled around a few time getting dizzy and lightheaded over the amount of people around.

I pushed and prodded my way through the crowd until I was on the out skirts. Finally, with some room to breathe I tried to get a better look around but every time I thought I seen him the sea of people kept swallowing him until finally all signs of him were gone.

A thought lingered into my mind as to what I should do next. I had a wad of cash and opportunity to make a run for it. However, the thought vanished as quickly as it arrived. The chance was small, and the consequences could be deadly.