The Reapings (District One)

Clarice Amberton's P.O.V.

I stood in my room, staring at the floor-length mirror leaning against the wall. The image of myself was staring back at me.

I looked fabulous. I was wearing a white dress that reached to my knees. Rainbow sequins covered the hem, glittering at my every move. My sandy-blonde hair was in a fancy up-do style with a loose strand of hair swirling down the side of my cheek.

I smiled. Today I was going to volunteer. I'm eighteen, and I've been preparing for this moment my whole life. I'm ready.

"Clarice! You should get going," I heard my mom call from downstairs.

"Oh! Ok," I say as a quick reply. I scrambled down the stairs. My mom was laughing at me.

I frowned at her, "What's wrong?"

She pointed at my feet, "I'm not going to let you volunteer without any shoes on."

I looked down, "Oh, I guess I forgot to put them on. I'm getting a little too excited."

"Alright, hurry up and put them on, I'm heading down to the town square. See you there."

I ran back up the stairs and pulled on my silver sandals, then I scurried back downstairs, and out onto the streets of District One.

I jumped into line with the rest of the girls to get my finger pricked by a peacekeeper and stuff.

When that's over, I shuffle into the eighteen-year-old section.

The boy's half of the town square is empty. They don't have to be reaped until the end of the girl's Games. Unfortunate. At least I don't have to wait as long as them.

I roll my eyes when our district escort, Clara Cleanwood, saunters onto the stage. Her light blue curls bounce at her every step.

"Hello, hello, District One! As you all know, I'm Clara Cleanwood, the escort of your wonderful district. Now, I won't keep you all waiting. I'm just as excited as you!" she shouts in her high-pitched voice.

I watch her pluck a slip from the giant bowl of names.

"San-"

"I VOLUNTEER!" I shout. I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I walk up to the stage. I'm loving this already. The games haven't even started, and I'm already getting attention.

"My name is Clarice Amberton, I'm eighteen, and I will win this Quell!"

"Thank you, Clarice. Take a seat. Ok, now for our final lucky girl from this district!"

Clara fished a name out of the bowl and walked back to the mic.

"Jean Lawren!"

"NOBODY VOLUNTEER! This is my year!" Someone yells from one of the middle sections.

"Well, aren't you excited!" Clara jokes as a tall brunette runs up to the stage.

"I'm sixteen, and I will have you all know that I wanted to volunteer this year! Not be reaped like every other baby!"

"It's ok, Jean, nobody volunteered, so you are still going to the Games." Clara said.

"Whatever." Jean scowls before turning to sit in the second chair.

"Well, District One, this concludes our Reapings. Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" Clara yells to the crowd. Then she turns to us, gesturing for us to stand.

We both stand and face each other. Jean glares at me while I give her a grin.

"Well go on! Shake hands!"

I held out my hand to Jean and she grabbed it with an iron grip. I tried not to wince as I shook it.

After an awkward moment of glaring at each other, we were ushered into the Justice Building by some peacekeepers.