Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

I grabbed my trunk and looked at the steaming red train in awe. I watched as people wheeled by with trolleys holding trunks and different shaped cages filled with assorted animals, such as owls, and cats. Those seemed to be the most common ones, though I even saw a lizard crawling up a boy's arm into his robe.

I hitched up my trunk and climbed onto the train and wandered the compartments, trying to find an empty one so that I could be alone and read my book. I figured there wouldn't be a lot of time for reading once I reached the school. I would be much too busy catching up with everyone. 

Sev had warned me that I might have my work cut out for me, but I wasn't quite sure what that entailed yet. 

I finally found an empty compartment and had just sat down when a boy stuck his head in. 

"Is anyone sitting here?" He asked. I begrudgingly shook my head. He grinned and sauntered in, sitting down next to me. I didn't say anything, hoping that he wouldn't talk to me so that I could focus on reading. No such luck.  "So, I'm Draco Malfoy, what's your name? I'm sure I don't know you, I think you're new." 

"Yeah. I am." I said begrudgingly. "I'm Alana." 

"What's your last name?" He asked. 

"Potter." I said slowly. Sev had warned me about my famous brother and I. Draco's eyes widened a bit, but otherwise, he didn't seem to surprised. 

"My father mentioned that the other Potter twin was coming to Hogwarts. I didn't know that she would be so beautiful." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes, blushing furiously. What a flirt. 

"Thanks." I said. "So, what year are you in?"

"Fourth, same as you, I presume?" He asked. 

"Yep." I nodded.

"Cool." He said and there was another awkward silence. I was just turning back to my book when: "So, what house do you want to be in?" 

"Well, Sev said that Slytherin was best, but...."

"Wait, Sev? As in Severus Snape?" Draco gaped at me. "Did you live with him or something?" 

"Yeah I did." I said.

"How did you survive?!" He exclaimed. I looked at him like he was crazy. 

"Of course I survived. Sev mostly stayed in his study, doing his professor stuff. Though I didn't know what he was doing because...can you keep a secret?"

"Of course." He leaned closer and watched me carefully. I took a deep breath and looked at him nervously. He nodded encouragingly. I nodded and took another deep breath. 

"Okay. So, before? Well...2 weeks before now, I had no idea that I was a witch." I said, looking at him nervously. 

"Really? Well, don't worry. Hermione Granger is a Mudblood and she's the smartest in the whole grade, if not the whole school." He shrugged. "You'll be fine." 

"Come on, let's go in here....oh. Hello Malfoy." I looked up and saw a boy with shaggy black hair, round-framed glasses, and piercing green eyes in the doorway. Behind him was a girl with bushy brown hair and extraordinarily big front teeth, and a boy with red hair, who looked like a bit of a idiot, if I was being perfectly honest. 

"Hello, Potter." Draco sneered the last bit, and my eyes flashed to the boy with red hair. Could this be my twin brother? I was shocked when the dark-haired boy spoke in response to Draco's words. 

"Who's she?" Harry asked curiously, eyeing me. 

"This is..." 

"Alana." I cut Draco off quickly. "My name is Alana." I didn't want my brother to know about me quite yet. I wanted to see how things would play out without that information in the mix.