Chapter Eighteen

The after-party was nothing like I'd ever seen before. Sure, the Flynn mansion seemed the perfect place to host a party what with its several home cinema rooms and outdoor, heated pool and all...but compared the Fraternity down the road from Noah's college, it was nothing.

The home of our opposing football team was a three-storey high white brick building with cement pillars out the front that stood just as tall as the top level. Fairy lights were hanging from the balcony that wrapped around the second floor, and each huge diamond shape window was illuminated with bright green and white lights from inside.

It seemed the party had started before the football game had even finished.

When Noah and I walked through the front door, I realised just how tame high school parties were in comparison. I thought it was wild that people were getting drunk underage and making out, but this was a whole different level. There was a couple lying on the couch, both with their pants noticeably undone and their tongues down each other's throats. On the opposite side of the room, two girls were making out in the corner for a group of guys who were cheering them on.

Further into the house, small white tablets were being passed like chewing gum, nearly every person popping it into their mouth without a second thought.

"Yikes," I said to Noah. "Please tell me this isn't what you're into."

Noah shook his head firmly. "Nah, I'd rather not destroy my future and get kicked out of a good school."

I breathed a sigh of relief and we continued to make our way through the party. There was a huge crowd of people heading for the backyard, and we followed suit to see what the excitement was all about.

There was a bonfire in the middle of the yard, flames licking in the wind, their tips higher than Noah's head.

"I'm pretty sure that's past the legal limit," I whispered to Noah.

"I'm certain that's past the legal limit," he responded.

We laughed together as we made our way to the lawn chairs at the back of the yard, and I decided I'd save the chairs for us while Noah went to source some drinks. Through the darkness, I could vaguely make out the shape of a familiar person, and I waved when I realised it was Jimmy.

He made his way through the crowd and I was shocked to see that he had changed clothes. No longer was he wearing a baggy pair of shorts and football jersey, but instead a white-collared tee and black jeans.

"You look smart," I said to him, then frowned at my own outfit. I was still wearing my plain black leggings and grey camisole from earlier. Noah had warned me to take a jacket, but I figured I'd be warm enough during the football game.

Now, I'd have to rely on the bonfire.

Or maybe Noah's arms.

"Thanks," he said. "I'm hoping to pick up tonight."

I smiled at him. "Well you certainly look the part," I said. "Who's the lucky lady? I hear Bethany's single. You know, the new chick."

Jimmy raised his eyebrows at me. "Noah didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"I like guys," Jimmy said.

"Oh!" I called. "Jeez, I'm sorry! I'm the worst."

Jimmy laughed as he sat down on the lawn chair beside me. As nice as Jimmy was, I was hoping he'd leave before Noah got back so I didn't have to tell him the seat was already reserved for somebody else. I was too awkward to have to call someone out like that.