Chapter Sixteen

Being in Noah's arms again, free from all interruption, made life seem too good to be true. 

We'd spent the afternoon curled up in his tiny bed, my head resting on his chest as I listened to the sweet sound of his voice telling me more about his classes and his time at Harvard.

We watched some movies, laughed about how we'd nearly been caught by Rita, and talked about how I totally lied to my dad about a school trip just so I could be here with Noah for just a couple of days. 

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," I said, sitting up in the bed. "Lee and Rachael broke up."

"I know," Noah said.

I raised my eyebrows. "You do?"

"You think I didn't catch Lee crying at the party, too? I'm not an idiot, Elle."

"To be honest," I said, "my first thought would be that you'd just make fun of him for being in tears. Especially in public."

"Nah, I wouldn't embarrass him like that anymore," he said as he ushered me back down onto his chest, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Lee and I are actually close at the moment," he continued. "Thanks to you, I think."

"Really?"

"Yeah. If it weren't for you putting him in his place about our relationship, he would never have been okay with it all. Anyway. As much as I love having you here, he's pretty cut about Rachael and he'll need you more than I will. I hope you've been looking after him."

I smiled as I realised how much Noah really cared for the people around him. He'd always put up a wall, a kind of facade where people were only able to see the tough Noah, or the player Noah. Never the soft, sweet Noah who actually had feelings.

Hell, it even took me a while to realise there was a side to him that didn't involve wanting to make out with every girl in sight.

"I'll take good care of him," I assured him. "As long as you take good care of me."

Noah leaned in for a kiss, and I smiled as our lips met. "We should probably do something other than make out all day," I said when we pulled away from each other.

Noah furrowed his brows over his gorgeous honey eyes. "Nah," he said. "This is fine."

I gave him a light slap on the arm and rolled my eyes. "Noah!"

"I was kidding, Shelly! Come on then, we'll think of something. Maybe throw a jacket on."

As we stood from the bed and I rummaged through my suitcase for something warmer, a knock on Noah's door sent my nerves into overdrive.

I looked at him with wide eyes and he pressed a finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet.

"Who is it?" He called out.

"It's Jimmy," was the response of a deep male voice.

Noah breathed a sigh of relief and opened the door. "Hey dude."

Jimmy was a tall, lanky teenager with lean muscles and veins that almost popped out of his skin. Unlike Noah, who had the perfect footballer body, Jimmy came across as that one skinny kid in P.E class who was way too enthusiastic about track and field.

"Football game tonight, Flynn. Just casual between us and the dudes from down the road again. You in?" 

Noah opened the door a little wider and gestured to me. "Nah, my girlfriend's here for the weekend. Elle, this is Jimmy. Jimmy, this is Elle."

As my stomach flipped at the word girlfriend, Jimmy stepped through the door and offered his hand. "Ah! The famous Elle," he said.

I shook his hand and turned to Noah. "So you talk about me?" I asked with my eyebrows raised.

Noah's cheeks turned pink and he tried to hide his embarrassment with a smirk. "All bad things," he said. "Anyway, sorry dude. We're heading out."

"No, don't let me ruin the fun! I'd love to watch you play football," I said with a smile.

And it was true. I hadn't watched Noah play since he left for Harvard, and, truth be told, I was certainly missing the way his toned body would dart over the field and he would end up sweating and shirtless by the end of a game.

"Really?" He asked.

Trying not to visibly drool, I nodded my head. "Yeah! Let's do it."

"You can even play, Elle," Jimmy added in.

"Oh, I dunno about that-"

"Come on!" Noah said, interrupting me. "You're always acting so tough. Why not prove it?"

I put on my best game face and exchanged glances with Jimmy. "Is he this much of a jackass at college, too?" I asked.

A broad smile spread across Jimmy's face as he nodded. "Ah, yep. That's why we love him so much," he said with a laugh. "So you're both in? It's mixed teams. I promise I won't let anyone tackle you."

"You don't have to worry about that," I said with a grin. "I'm faster than I look."

"Awesome," Jimmy said, stepping back out of the room. "We're leaving in half an hour. Take out any jewellery, Elle."

"I'm a soccer player. I know the rules."

With another smile, Jimmy left the dorm and closed the door behind him. I looked up at Noah, whose smirk had not yet been wiped off his handsome face.

"You're up for this?" He asked.

I nodded confidently. "Hells yeah," I said. "If we win, do we go for celebratory drinks after?"

"Yep, and even if we lose. You're in for one hell of a night, Shelly. Prepare for your first college drink fest."

I was still smiling when Noah kissed me again.

Yeah, I thought, I'm really going to like it here next year.

____________
Author's Note:

SO WOOHOO, Elle is going to her first college party after the game! Please don't forget to vote and comment if you want me to keep writing! Xx