53l Are You Blind, My Lord

Start from the beginning

Struggling to her feet, she reached up and wiped the tears that had managed to escape, before making her way into the building, where she knew she would sleep on a large bed all by herself.

She reached the room and pushed the door open, a sigh escaping her lips when the empty bed came into view. Forcing her leg forward, she reached the armoire and found a nightdress. She placed it on the bed and reached behind her to loosen the lace of her dress. She slipped out of her day dress and into the nightdress. Once that was done, she loosened her French braid and turned to the dresser where she found the hair brush seated there. Placing herself on the chair, she began brushing her hair, her mind filled with thoughts of Daniel and the children. Perhaps she was wrong to return, perhaps things were better without her? Tears blurred her vision, her fingers trembling until the comb was falling to the ground beside her. Hurriedly wiping her tears, she leaned down to pick it.

"Here," Something brushed her hand, stopping her. She jerked her head up, a loud gasp escaping her lips as her eyes locked with Daniel's. "Let me." He murmured softly, before reaching down and grabbing the comb. He straightened and she rose to her feet, heart pounding.

"I- erm."

"Sit."

Nodding, she placed herself once more on the chair and watched through the mirror as he began brushing her hair. She felt the brush gently glide through her hair and watched the small frown on his face as he worked, the memory of the night they had consummated their marriage, flashing through her mind.

Warmth crawling up her neck and setting her face ablaze, she glanced down.

The brush stopped moving, alerting her he was finished. Rising to her feet, she turned around and forced a smile to her lips. "Thank you." He stood still, eyes watching her or perhaps just aimed at her for she knew he couldn't see her. Turning her attention to the brush that hung loosely in his hand, she reached for it. "I should take that." The second her hand touched the comb, it slipped to the ground. Instinctively, she leaned down and tried to retrieve it but something took captive of her wrist, pulling her forward until her face was only inches from his and in that second, her breath ceased.

His hand glided slowly up her arm, his eyes holding hers.

"Brown eyes," He finally said, his eyes searching hers. She felt his fingers travel up her arm, past her neck, "Sun kissed skin," Brush against her ear and finally bury themselves in her hair, setting her body ablaze. "Brunette, curly mass of perfection,"

"Daniel," She squeaked, her body reacting to his closeness. She wanted nothing but to lean into his arms, but the part of her that felt guilty, wanted to pull away. "I'm sorry," She shook her head, fighting to keep her tears at bay. "I'm sorry I was willing to lay a bastard at your feet, to be married to your brother, to leave."

"I imagined all of these things, Dasa. I sat for several hours imagining the perfection of your eyes,"

"Daniel, " She deserved some kind of punishment for what she did. She didn't deserve to be here, to be with him. "I'm sorry I came back, I'm sorry I'm disrupting this perfect world you managed to build."

"Your hair,"

"But the thought of leaving, the thought of never seeing you again is unbearable. I can't, " She shook her head, her tears falling.

"Sun rays reflecting off of your skin."

"I don't want to lose you, Daniel,"

"But I never in a million years could have imagined how beautiful you are, how absolutely breathtaking you are."

He wasn't even listening to her! The thought frustrated her as she leaned forward and took hold of his shoulders, "Surely you must despise me, Daniel!"