11l Shackled

In only a short time, Hadassah was moved out of the servant's room she had once lived in, to a lavish bedchamber befitting of her true identity, according to Lady Talbot.

Word was sent to her uncle, Lord Hadley in Sheffield, of Daniel's intentions to be wed to her and while she fully doubted Lord Hadley would give his consent to the marriage, she hoped he would. What choice did he have anyway? She would turn eighteen in only a few months and his consent wouldn't matter anymore. Against his plans to stop her from regaining her father's property by keeping her trapped in the estate with no hopes of finding a suitor, she was about to get married and take possession of what was rightfully hers.

The days leading to Lord Hadley's response to the letter, were spent in the company of Daniel. It was somewhat of a courtship, even if she couldn't exactly call it that. They would sit in the parlor, drink tea and talk about anything but the life they were about to spend together. It was a courtship devoid of love or the slightest show of affection. It was obvious to even a stranger, that it would be a marriage of convenience, one where both parties would stand to gain from the union.

Hadassah was sitting on a table surrounded by the entire Talbot family one evening, when the Earl cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention.

She had been dining with the Talbots for a few weeks but could hardly say she was comfortable in their presence. While the Earl seemed to exude power and command respect, Lady Talbot was warm and welcoming. Lord Julius on the other hand, seemed determined to be nothing but cordial towards her, unwilling to spend more time in her company than was required and only capable of murmuring a few words of greeting.

She lifted her eyes to the Earl, his brown eyes visible beneath graying eyelashes. While she assumed him to most likely be in his late fifties, his full mass of silver locks and smooth face, made him appear younger.

When he turned to her, she shrank back under his scrutiny.

“Lord Hadley has responded.” He began, a small frown creasing his face. “I am afraid he is unwilling to give his consent to the marriage.”

A loud sigh followed his announcement, causing her to lifted her eyes to the source; Julius. He turned to her as well in that moment, face reflecting relief.

A frown now straining her features, she turned back to the Earl. Her heart began pounding loudly in her chest as her mouth fell open. There was no surprise in the Earl's announcement, of course her uncle would refuse the proposal!

“What do you mean, Father?” Daniel spoke from his position beside her.

“I mean,” Earl Talbot's frown maintained its position on his face. “There will be no marriage between the two of you. Lord Hadley is unwilling.”

“That is ridiculous!” A loud sound followed Daniel's words. When she turned to him, his fist was planted on the table.

“It would have been a good union, Daniel but a better union would be marriage to Lady Price.” Julius. Hadassah thought, as she turned her attention to where he sat across from her, that she saw satisfaction in his eyes. Did he oppose their marriage as well?

“That is not all.” Lord Talbot's words forced Hadassah to tear her eyes off of Julius and turn her attention back to him. “Lord Hadley will press charges for the abduction of his niece if she is not returned within a week.”

“Rubbish!” The word flew out of her lips before she could stop it and in the same second, she shoved her seat back and rose to her feet, tears stinging her eyes.

Fear caused her limbs to tremble at the mere thought of returning to Sheffield. For the love of her sanity, she couldn't return! She couldn't go back to her controlling, selfish, uncle! She couldn't go back to being trapped in the estate with no one but Leah to lean on. And Leah, how could she be certain she would find Leah upon her return?! She hadn't heard from Leah since she left!